Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrothPU
Reel Rookie

Airplay not working with 4640x

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

Need some troubleshooting help please.

I have a Roku 4640x that refuses to show AirPlay content coming from any of my Apple devices (Ipad & Iphone). I see all my roku devices in the airPlay menu on my apple devices, and once I select the 4640x get the prompt for the pin, and a checkmark on the airPlay device list on the Apple device. 

At that point I get a spinning wheel on the TV that the 4640x is driving, but after about 10 seconds of spinning wheel, the TV screen goes blank, the Apple device blinks and the spinning wheel comes back (looks like a retry). This goes on until I cancel on the Apple device (click back to e.g. the iPhone iPad in the airPlay menu).

I have rebooted (Roku, Apple Devices, Network), reset (Roku), cleared paired devices (Roku) multiple times, however the issue is persistent and readily reproducible.

All devices are on the same Wireless SSID, there are no VLANs present, no firewall rules, and all multicast limiting features are turned off (auto-network optimization, IGMP snooping etc.), and IGMP v3 enhancements are enabled. 

The Roku AirPlay setup is not using the HomeKit part of the AirPlay, and Airplay is set to use a one-time code for pairing.

As a test to ensure that there are no wireless network shenanigans, I tried with both the Apple device and the 4640x using wired connections, and get the same behavior.

Further, to ensure that this is not a issue with my UniFi network, I ran the same Airplay content (on same network etc.) against both my AppleTV 4K, on several Sonos devices as wells as against a LG OLED TV, and can confirm that they are all working flawlessly.

Based on prior threads, I'm providing the information you have asked for in those;

-Roku device model; 4640x
-serial number; YP00EW840696
-device ID; 7LC68E840696
-software OS/version; 10.0.0 - BUILD 4209-29
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing; See Above

Hope you can help out

Thanks,

GrothPU

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GrothPU
Reel Rookie

Re: Airplay not working with 4640x

Jump to solution

Hi StreamerUser,

You are indeed correct Sir - I managed to mix up a couple of things. 

I tried your suggestion below, and initially could not get it to work -- but seeing I had gotten something else mixed up, I decided to go back to basics, and do something as simple as just AirPlay'ing a video I had locally on the iPhone, instead of using the F1TV app that I had been using as my AirPlay content source.

Lo and behold, AirPlay came to life on the Roku and worked flawlessly.

I then tried it via my UniFi network, and the local video worked there too. 

That got me curious, and I tried to AirPlay from different content apps (Vudu, Xfinity, Hulu etc.) on my Apple devices, and all of them EXCEPT the F1TV app (that I had used for testing originally), worked flawlessly, so I basically managed to isolate the issue to the F1TV app.

So the good news is that AirPlay seems to be working fine on the Roku, but the app (F1TV) that I used for testing does not like to AirPlay to a Roku at all. Now, I don't know if the incompatibility is a DRM thing or something else, but I'm going to log a ticket with F1TV so they can sort it out.

@StreamerUser Thanks for all of your help -- I truly appreciate it -- and sorry for wasting your time on something so trivial (and unrelated to Roku) as a broken app. For anyone reading this thread, please do not use the F1TV iPhone app for testing your Roku's AirPlay, as it returns a false negative!

Thanks,

GrothPU

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Try this list (especially highlighted  #s)

1) Verify you have the latest AirPlay support:
    A) Using remote: Home 3x, Up 2x, L, R, L, R, L (AirPlay should be 1.14-122 or later)
     B) Settings/System/System update/Check now (should be 10.0.0-4209 or later) - try again

2) Verify your devices arent connected to a Guest SSID or otherwise have AP/Client Isolation enabled on the SSID - try again

3) Verify Roku AirPlay with phone HotSpot - enable HotSpot, connect/tether Roku to Hotspot - try again

4) Disable & re-enable WiFi on the Apple devices - try again

5) Restart all devices (Rokus, Apples, modem/router/gateway) - try again

6) Disable AirPlay: Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit/AirPlay=off, Restart Roku, Enable AirPlay - try again

7) Reset the paired devices: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Require Code/Reset Paired Devices - try again

8) Setup HomeKit: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Setup HomeKit - try again

9) Switch either Rokus or Apples from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, or from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz - try again

10) Set display to 1080p: Settings/Display type/1080p TV - try again

11) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

12) Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- Last resort

0 Kudos
GrothPU
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi StreamUser,

Thanks for the suggestions -- much appreciated.

I verified that the AirPlay version is 1.14 and that the build is 4209 (as mentioned in the original post).

went through 2-12, and no joy -- on #3 I got an access denied (as I expected), and it makes sense as Apple iPhone hotspots does not allow multicast between what is essentially different VLANs (the hotspot clients on one, the radio (5G) another, and the WLAN a third), I'm aware that other phones does have a different implementation, but that is the way Apple does it.

so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

if ROKU engineering is interested, I have captured full TCP traces (port 5353 listening) from both a device side, router side and AP side, and I'm happy to share. That said, the gist of the traces are the Airplay devices initiates connection to the 224.0.0.x network (e.g. 224.0.0.254), and that everyone is happily chatting along, but at some point the messages enters a waitstate, as if a condition is unmeet, or a race condition is present.

looking at the clear-text part of the dumps, I'm pretty sure that the authentication is not the issue, but some session handling in the handover from one device to the next -- but then again I don't have code in front of me so it is hard to tell.

anyway @RokuDanny-R - it would be nice if someone can give me a few pointers, or if your team want to access the box via the engineering remote, I'm happy to run any scenario to assist you in debugging  

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GrothPU 

You need to revisit/re-try the Hotspot (not sure where the "access denied" message is coming from).   Your AirPlay information isnt accurate - Airplay has worked for many years on iPhone HotSpots.

Remember, the point of #3 is to verify that AirPlay is working in the Roku (same behavior or not), and eliminating your router/gateway as a problem source.

1) HotSpot connected to WiFi - Roku connected to HS - try AirPlay (Cast app & Mirror CC) to Roku

2) HotSpot connected to Data - Roku connected to HS - try AirPlay (Cast app & Mirror CC) to Roku

2) HotSpot connected to null (WiFi/Data both disabled/not connected) - Roku connected to HS - try AirPlay (Cast app & Mirror CC) to Roku

You can always contact Roku directly:

chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus     

0 Kudos
GrothPU
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi StreamerUser,

You are indeed correct Sir - I managed to mix up a couple of things. 

I tried your suggestion below, and initially could not get it to work -- but seeing I had gotten something else mixed up, I decided to go back to basics, and do something as simple as just AirPlay'ing a video I had locally on the iPhone, instead of using the F1TV app that I had been using as my AirPlay content source.

Lo and behold, AirPlay came to life on the Roku and worked flawlessly.

I then tried it via my UniFi network, and the local video worked there too. 

That got me curious, and I tried to AirPlay from different content apps (Vudu, Xfinity, Hulu etc.) on my Apple devices, and all of them EXCEPT the F1TV app (that I had used for testing originally), worked flawlessly, so I basically managed to isolate the issue to the F1TV app.

So the good news is that AirPlay seems to be working fine on the Roku, but the app (F1TV) that I used for testing does not like to AirPlay to a Roku at all. Now, I don't know if the incompatibility is a DRM thing or something else, but I'm going to log a ticket with F1TV so they can sort it out.

@StreamerUser Thanks for all of your help -- I truly appreciate it -- and sorry for wasting your time on something so trivial (and unrelated to Roku) as a broken app. For anyone reading this thread, please do not use the F1TV iPhone app for testing your Roku's AirPlay, as it returns a false negative!

Thanks,

GrothPU

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GrothPU 

Thats good feedback about the F1TV app - thank you for posting back so that other users may see it and realize its an app/AirPlay limitation.

FYI, there are other apps that also behave the same way (don't work with AirPlay's casting correctly or with certain AirPlay receiver versions/devices).

And there are DRM limitations that prevent casting/mirroring certain apps (they are specifically precluded from being able to cast/mirrored) with AirPlay or ChromeCast or Miracast.

0 Kudos
donhb

Jump to solution

I am also having a problem with my 4640x (10.5-4208) with airplay v.2.18-150: when I select airplay for set up my Roku briefly displays Airplay and returns to the previous screen. My iPhone is unable to find the Roku on my network.  The Roku is wired directly to my router using its Ethernet connection and the iPhone is using a 5ghz connection to the router. When my iPhone is switched to use router's 2.4GHz WiFi connection the results are the same.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@donhb 

There is a UI display bug with the latest AirPlay version (2.18.150) in conjunction with OS 10.5.x (all builds) that causes this specific "instant exit" behavior, and unfortunately Roku has ignored it since OS 10.5.x was released last fall.

There is a workaround, and that is to Settings/System/Power/System restart/RESTART your device, and immediately go to Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit - 9 times out of 10 it will open and allow you to make necessary changes.

0 Kudos