Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

How to use Apple airplay on Roku

Jump to solution

For everyone asking about AirPlay on Roku 1080 devices, it is apparently coming with Roku OS 10.0. This is a quote from the OS 10 release notes, just published today:

Note: Most Roku devices will support Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit with the exception of Roku TV model numbers beginning with "6" (6XXXX), "5" (5XXXX), and Roku player model numbers 2700X, 2710X, 2720X, 3500X, 3700X, 3710X, and 4400X. You can access your Roku model number in the Settings menu by going to Settings > System > About. For more information, please visit our AirPlay and HomeKit support page.

For those unsupported TVs, I believe the 6xxx series are the Onn brand (Walmart house brand) and the 5xxx series is Insignia (Best Buy house brand). I have a 5xxx TV, and it's a 720p set, so that might be why it's not getting it. For the unsupported players, that's the purple Roku Stick (3500), the original Express (3700/3710), the Roku 4 (4400), and some really old models.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Airplay not showing up on device

Jump to solution

@shaun3000

Thanks for the post.

Pleas be aware that AirPlay support is being deployed to new platforms on OS 10.0 over the next coming weeks, so keep an eye out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now, once it downloads/installs the AirPlay support, restart  (Settings/System/System restart/Restart)

NOTE:  If you are not in the US it may take longer to rollout.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
51 REPLIES 51
shaun3000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m running 10.0 on a 4210, which according to your AirPlay support article, supports AirPlay 2. However I don’t see AirPlay in my device settings nor does it show up in my iOS AirPlay menu. What gives?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Shaun, are you located in North America? There are a number of regions it hasn't rolled out to yet. It's also possible they haven't actually begun rolling it out to the 2K players yet. 

Dan

0 Kudos
shaun3000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

North America, in the US. If it's not rolled out, yet, y'all need to make that clear. Your support article says it should be available if you have 9.4/10.0 on one of the devices listed.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

For whatever reason, Roku never seems to make it clear that their new feature rollouts aren't always instantaneous. I only have 10.0 on my devices included in the beta test group. Since those are 4K units, they've all had AirPlay for some time. In fact, my only non-4K Roku is a 720p TV that isn't getting AP at all. 

But yes, it would be nice if Roku would be more transparent about the OS and feature rollout schedules.

Dan

0 Kudos
shaun3000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well it’s confusing as **bleep**, especially when they get tech publications to announce the new feature. And have support articles detailing how it works. But it secretly isn’t actually rolled out, yet, and we won’t tell you when it happens until it happens. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@shaun3000

Thanks for the post.

Pleas be aware that AirPlay support is being deployed to new platforms on OS 10.0 over the next coming weeks, so keep an eye out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
MysteryL_
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku is running on 9.4 and I don’t have airplay available for my tv. I saw a post saying Airplay support will be rolled out for 10.? So now I’m confused. Should I already have it or is that coming in the update.   

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MysteryL_

Thanks for the inquiry.

What specific Model Roku TV do you have? Please be aware that Airplay is only supported on Roku TV models: Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx currently on OS 9.4.

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rafa1987
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I already have the version 10.0 installed on my Roku Expess 3930 but the airplay is not available. I.e: I don’t have airplay setup on the Roku settings and the device doesn’t appear when I open the airplay menu from my iOS device. How can I fix that?

0 Kudos