Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stobryan
Level 7

Airplay not Consistent on Roku Premier

I've just purchased a Roku Premiere because of Channel availability issues with AppleTV as of recent.  Channel availability is great, but consistently having issues with Airplay from iPhone or iPad.  It will initially  connect via Airplay and play for awhile, but then disconnects constantly.  This happens from both an iPhone and/or iPad.  I am on the exact same TV and Wireless Network as the AppleTV.  I find myself having to go back to the AppleTV if I want to Airplay.  The AppleTV does not drop the Airplay (ever).  This leads me to believe that the Roku is not consistent nor a good device for Airplay, but I'm open to suggestions on what I can do to alleviate this issue if I'm doing something wrong.  Appreciate any input.

Steve

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jeffreyrs
Level 7

Re: Airplay not Consistent on Roku Premier

Did you find any solution.  Airplay had worked great on my Roku Premier.  In the past week, however, I’ve had constant issues.  I have to restart my Roku to get it to show up on my iPhone & iPad.  Sometimes it connects- sometimes it doesn’t show up - sometimes it fails to connect- sometimes it plays but then drops.  All devices are the latest software releases.  I’ve also had issues with the Roku remote app not finding any of my 3 Roku devices.  Mirroring from my PC laptop is working ok so the Roku is visible and accessible on my network.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Airplay not Consistent on Roku Premier

Hello folks!

Thanks for reaching out here in the community.

Please note Roku Premieres are single-band wireless devices that can only detect and connect to a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. There are instances that both bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) are combined based on your Wi-Fi settings. A device like a laptop or mobile phone will automatically pick up the best band based on your distance from the router. 

Since AirPlay requires your Apple and Roku devices to be connected to the same network, we suggest checking your Wi-Fi settings or ask assistance from your internet service provider to make sure that both bands aren't combined but separated. 

Once it's separated and you are able to connect your Apple device to your home network's 2.4 GHz band, you will most likely experience any intermittent issue using the AirPlay feature. 

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,

Kariza

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos