Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrstank
Channel Surfer

Airplay from Macbook Pro to Roku opens to settings

Trying to airplay from my macbook pro to the roku in my office.  I have a samsung 4k tv with a roku ultra (see specs below).  I open the video in quicktime and click the airplay icon and select the roku ultra device.  It is on the same network and is added to my "Home" via apple.  The IP address is different from my computer.

The quicktime video (a replay of a zoom screening in this case but it happens on all of them) goes black on the macbook pro.  Then a screen loads on roku black at first then gives the words Airplay and then goes to settings.  It never actually plays the video or audio.  The settings show the network and the device name which all matches.  If I click into settings looking for a setting that isn't playing nice... I see airplay is on, requires code the first time only, the subtitles, about airplay and homekit which correctly labeled to our "home".

I have also tried restarting the roku, restarting the tv, I have changed the display type from auto to 720/1080 etc and then back to auto because it doesn't help.  I have also reset the homekit on this device and re-added it.  I checked and it works from my iPhone 11 Pro normally.  

I have numerous educational videos from classes/groups that are downloaded to my computer only and not on my iPhone or iPad but just the macbook or an external hard drive.  (I've tried both.) So I can't just move the files to my phone as a workaround.

It seems everything is in place yet I can't get it to do anything other than load the settings screen over and over.  I've read countless support articles and verified my devices are all compatible.  I am at this point considering dumping roku altogether.

Model 4660x Roku Ultra
Software Vs 9.4.0 build 4200-46

Also using Macbook pro OS Big Sur 11.2.3

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Airplay from Macbook Pro to Roku opens to settings

Have you tried the AirPlay2 mirroring functionality from your Mac? (instead of the AirPlay2 casting functionality from within Quicktime)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

Mirror or extend your Mac display

With Apple TV or an AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, you can mirror the entire display of your Mac to your TV or use your TV as a separate display.

A macOS screenshot shows the AirPlay menu option selected, and Mirror Built-in Retina Display has a checkmark next to it.

1. Connect your Mac to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV. 
  2. On your Mac, click  in the menu bar at the top of your screen. If you don't see , go to Apple  menu > System Preferences > Displays, then select "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available."
  3. Choose your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV. Need help?
  4. If an AirPlay passcode appears on your TV screen, enter the passcode on your Mac.
Change settings or stop mirroring

To change the size of your desktop mirrored on your TV, click  in the menu bar. Then select Mirror Built-in Display to match the size of your desktop or Mirror Apple TV to match the size of your TV.

AirPlay also lets you use your TV as a separate display for your Mac. Just click  in the menu bar, then select Use As Separate Display.

To stop mirroring or using your TV as a separate display, click  in the menu bar, then choose Turn AirPlay Off. Or press the Menu button on your Apple TV Remote.

Learn more about mirroring or extending the display of your Mac.

0 Kudos
mrstank
Channel Surfer

I know how to do that but I am not trying to use that feature... I am trying to use airplay.  Mirroring uses my monitor screen and I already have 2 monitors, 3 if needed.  If I wanted another monitor, I don't need to use my tv for that.  The goal is to use the AIRPLAY function in this case.  I have supported devices and the function does not work as described so I am looking for solutions only to that issue.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

I think you are a bit confused - AirPlay mirroring IS an AirPlay function.

If you actually went to the Apple support article, or read the text, you'd see that.  The link provided is an Apple support article for AirPlay:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

-----------

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen

Use AirPlay to stream or share content from your Apple devices to your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV. Stream a video. Share your photos. Or mirror exactly what's on your device's screen.

----------

The article is about how to stream video from your Apple device to AirPlay compatible devices (like Rokus).

There are 2 ways to do so:

1) AirPlay Casting using an apps built-in AirPlay function (you tried that with Quicktime and discovered failure - this is a known/reported issue for many)

2) AirPlay Mirroring using Control Center mirroring (this is what Apple and I are recommending you use since the first didnt work)

Its an Apple-designed solution, using AirPlay mirroring, recommended by Apple to play videos from your Mac, to your Roku.

Not sure why you are insisting AirPlay mirroring isnt AirPlay, but it is, and its an AirPlay-based solution for your problem.

Otherwise, if Quicktime's AirPlay functionality is broken, report it to Apple (again, others have also reported problems with Quicktime's AirPlay functionality):

https://getsupport.apple.com/

In the meantime, use a solution that works (or not, and argue that Apple is wrong about its own AirPlay protocol and that AirPlay mirroring isnt AirPlay, etc).

0 Kudos
mrstank
Channel Surfer

I’m not confused. I know what you are attempting to explain and have used that feature. It’s not what I’m having an issue with. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

And yet its AirPlay, and a solution.

0 Kudos
FigliolaJ

Did you try to go to settings/displays on your MacBook and then click on “add display”.  Add your roku to the displays available.  After I did this mine connected perfectly… 

0 Kudos