Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mobidutch
Level 7

Airplay freezes on Ultra Roku Device

I have a TCL Roku TV and an Ultra 4660x that both got updated to build 9.4.0. The Ultra is on build 4190. Both devices are connected to the same 5GHz wireless network. AirPlay works fine on the TCL TV, but on the Ultra it freezes instantly upon the start of casting either audio or video. What could be causing that problem??

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Airplay freezes on Ultra Roku Device

@mobidutch 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

In addition, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
mobidutch
Level 7

Hello,

Here's the requested info:

Device model: 4660X - Roku Ultra

Serial number: YJ00DM145830 (CK393D145830)

Software version: 9.4.0 build 4190-46

Timestamp 2020-11-12T20:36:06Z

Issue ID: 30-456-276

The issue does not seem to be related to a particular channel. It happens when I am on the Home Screen with no channel selected. On my iPhone 11 Pro Max (iOS 14.2) I am on the home screen, then pull down the Control Center from the top right corner and select Screen Mirroring. It shows my TCL Roku TV, and my Roku Ultra. When I choose the Roku Ultra, the AirPlay logo shows up on a black screen, then the screen goes completely black for a few seconds, and then it shows the AirPlay screen with the selected WiFi network (I don't have access to a wired connection) and the selected "Roku Ultra" device, with the text "Airplay and HomeKit Settings" highlighted/selected.

The issue seems to be related to the wireless network. If both my iPhone and the Ultra are connected to the same 5GHz WiFi network, the issue occurs. But if I connect either the iPhone or the Ultra to the 2.4GHz WiFi network and leave the other on 5GHz, it all works fine.

0 Kudos
ist
Level 7

Model: 4670x

Software version: 9.4.0

Build: 4190-46

It says everywhere that v9.4.0 have airplay 2 feature and it seems in posts above that even older devices got it.

And still Roku Ultra (purchased in 2020) does not have Airplay 2. How come?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mobidutch 

Thanks for the providing us with your information.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ist 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with a tracker ID when this issue occurs? (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

In addition, can you please provide us with more information regarding the Ultra (purchased in 2020) not having Airplay? Can you provide us with the device model and serial number of the Roku Ultra that you are having an issue with?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ist
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

Device model: 4670X - Roku Ultra

Tracker id: 69-457-798

Serial Number: YJ001C106169 (KW9041106169)

Software version: 9.4.0 build 4190-46

I follow usual software update steps: Settings > System > System Update > Check now 

Message says: "All software is up to date"

But there is no menu related to "Airplay", so I cannot enable it because it doesn't exist at all.

Looking forward to your response and a resolution. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Geoffree
Level 8

I have just purchased a streaming stick+ and I have the same problem. Airplay works with iPlayer app. on my iPhone but other apps such as Chrome freeze on the Airplay screen as detailed in the post.

StreamerUser
Level 16

@Geoffree wrote:

I have just purchased a streaming stick+ and I have the same problem. Airplay works with iPlayer app. on my iPhone but other apps such as Chrome freeze on the Airplay screen as detailed in the post.

Enable AirPlay logging:  Settings/Apple AirPlay & HomeKit/About Airplay/AirPlay logging=on

Try switching the wireless band that either/both the SS+ or your iPhone uses (from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz or vice versa) and attempt the session again.

If it still doesn't work inform Roku/Apple:

https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

https://support.apple.com/contact

0 Kudos
Geoffree
Level 8

Tried again today and it seems to have been fixed now.  Thanks.

0 Kudos