Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scape_scapes_
Level 7

Airplay and casting video don't work on Roku Express 4k+ 3941x running 10.5.0

When I attempt to cast video using airplay on my roku express 4k+ 3491x running 10.5.0 build 4167-CR i get nothing but a black screen. After about 4-5 seconds of black screen it boots me to the airplay settings menu most times. From some video sources I'll get audio but no video. Other times i'll just get nothing. Podcasts and music work great but video doesn't. 

I also tried video casting apps like Web Video Caster and TV Cast. It's the same thing with all of them, I'll attempt to load a video source and it gets up to 99%, hangs, and throws an error on the iOS companion app.

I've already tried toggling all kinds of display/resolution and audio settings, my wifi networks match, i've tried resetting the roku, factory resetting the roku, toggling airplay settings and resetting, resetting my router, etc. 

Side note: On my old roku express 3930x running 10.0.0 build 4209-AE Airplay and casting with the aforementioned apps works perfectly with video and all, so I know the problem is my new express 4k+ and not my phone. That being said I'm using an iPhone 7 running iOS 13.6.1

Side note 2: interestingly on the new express 4k that doesn't work, under airplay setting in the about section I can see the Airplay version number is 3.3.0.54 while the old express' version number is 3.2.0.13. Not sure if it's much of a smoking gun, just another difference I noticed. At a loss here

Hope there's something simple I'm missing, thanks for your time.

edit: just found out the exact same thing happens when I try to connect to roku as a display from Windows 10. The progress bar goes up to 99% and hangs.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Airplay and casting video don't work on Roku Express 4k+ 3941x running 10.5.0

@scape_scapes_

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns and the information you have provided to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
angelwolf71885
Level 8

Re: Airplay and casting video don't work on Roku Express 4k+ 3941x running 10.5.0

Im on a Roku 2 4200 and im haveing the same issue a black screen when i try to access airplay im on 10.5.0 build 4174-04

ive restarted my roku and iPhone several times

everything with AirPlay worked fine a week ago now it’s broken any fix would be appreciated 

Roku 2 4210
0 Kudos
Momamba
Level 7

Black screen when screen mirroring since 10.5.0 update

So I've noticed since the update to 10.5.0 when I try to screen mirror from my samsung s10e phone to my tcl rokutv I get audio and a black screen. Have tried forgetting my streaming device and setting it up again, restarting both my phone and the TV, restarting my router, both connected to the same network and everything. Is anyone else experiencing this, and what can be done to fix this? It was working perfectly for the longest time and now I just get a black screen with audio. Other apps like Netflix work fine

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@angelwolf71885 

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed the details along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Fladavpam
Level 7

Airplay video not working

Airplay  doesn’t show video (but does transfer audio) from iPhone 12 to my Roku Ultra. Both devices have the latest updates, and both devices have been restarted. This only began after the latest iOS update to iOS 15.

any ideas?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Black screen when screen mirroring since 10.5.0 update

@Momamba 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
angelwolf71885
Level 8

Device Model: 4210X - Roku 2

Serial Number: 4A7588001299

Software Version: 10.5.0 Build 4174-04

Tracker ID: ID 99-409-543

Steps to replicate

in menu/settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit

there will only be a black screen 

in airplay menu on iPhone the roku doesn't appear at all

related issue 

Apple Tv Rolu App 

Vershion : 8.0 build 119

it no longer loads and also shows a blank screen have to use home button to quit out causing visual glitches that require a reboot of the roku

Roku 2 4210
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@angelwolf71885

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Airplay video not working

Hi @Fladavpam

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please provide us with the information asked by @RokuDanny-R above. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos