Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonmoneils
Channel Surfer

Airplay Not Showing Up in Hometheater Room

Jump to solution

We have 2 Roku Express devices: 1 in home office room and 1 in home theater room.

Both work perfectly except the Airplay doe not work in the home theater room, even when we alternate switch the physical roku devices.

Airplay works perfectly with both devices in office room only when we physically alternate switch them.

All devices are on the same wifi network.

Home theater room is controlled with Logitech Harmony hub and remote and Roku works OK with them.

We connect Roku directly in the home theater room - TV monitor bypassing Harmony and Airplay still does not show up.

Why is Airplay not showing up in the home theater room is beyond comprehension? help please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
simonmoneils
Channel Surfer

Re: Airplay Not Showing Up in Hometheater Room

Jump to solution

Yes the Roku into another room AirPlay works at 32Mbps on the same 5ghz fiber network.

So, although I have Wifi repeaters throughout the house, then the 18mbps tells me my repeaters are defective and I should upgrade to Bell fiber repeater ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What is the model number of the Roku express you own? In your home theater room are you connecting The Roku to a receiver or a TV? 

0 Kudos
simonmoneils
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What is the model number of the Roku express you own?

ANSWER : Both are MODEL 3930CA. 

In your home theater room are you connecting The Roku to a receiver or a TV?

ANSWER:

1. we tried connecting Roku to the home theater receiver - resulted Roku works OK but not Airplay.  This is the normal connection via Harmony.

2. we tried connecting Roku directly to the TV - resulted Roku works OK but not Airplay.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The Roku Express 3930 is the base model Roku. It’s a single band unit. It only works on the 2.4 GHz WiFi. It’s possible your losing the signal especially if it works fine in another room. It’s not a Roku issue if it works in one room and not another. Do any channels work on the Roku when it’s in the home theater room? Netflix? Hulu? Prime? Disney+? Do a check connection test. What does it say for Mbps?

0 Kudos
simonmoneils
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Do any channels work on the Roku when it’s in the home theater room? Netflix? Hulu? Prime? Disney+?

I do not use these channels but I use TED, YouTube, etc - and they stream OK.

Do a check connection test. What does it say for Mbps?

18Mbps

0 Kudos
simonmoneils
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Network band is 5 GHz

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Ok so your Roku Express only works on the 2.4 GHz WiFi. It cannot work on the 5.0 GHz WiFi. It does not support it. 18 Mbps is pretty slow. The farther away your Roku is from the modem or router the slower it will be. But when you move the Roku into another room AirPlay works? If that’s the case it’s not your Roku. It’s clear to me the home theater room is too far away from your modem or router to support proper streaming. How fast is your internet? Can you relocate the modem to a more central location?

0 Kudos
simonmoneils
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes the Roku into another room AirPlay works at 32Mbps on the same 5ghz fiber network.

So, although I have Wifi repeaters throughout the house, then the 18mbps tells me my repeaters are defective and I should upgrade to Bell fiber repeater ?

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

WiFi repeaters are junk. How fast is your internet? How large is your home? My home is 2400 sq ft and my XFinity modem covers my entire home. I subscribe to the 600 Mbps plan 

0 Kudos