Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlueIris
Level 8

Airplay No Video from HBO Max

I have the opposite problem—I have audio but no video. There's only the program display graphic and a tiny monitor showing when it's running. I'm on a 6th-gen iPad with iOS 14 and a Premiere.

16 Replies
Betorkcs
Level 7

Re: Airplay support - Roku 9.4

Airplay not casting live video from IPhone.

it allows browser videos fine, but when I try live videos, it only displays AirPlay configuration 

0 Kudos
DJones2595
Level 7

Re: Airplay No Video

I’m having the exact opposite problem. I get audio only. The only picture that shows up on my TV is just the picture the use for the episode 

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Airplay No Video from HBO Max

@BlueIris @DJones2595 @Betorkcs 

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model

-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
-Roku audio output setting
-TV manufacturer/model
-Do you use TV speakers or an external audio system/sound bar?  If external/sound bar, how is it connected (HDMI, optical audio/SPDIF/??)?
-Apple device model
-iOS version
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Ursacat
Level 7

Interesting that I had this problem this morning. HBOMax and Apple TV+ (just to try) Airplay from Macbook Pro (Catalina) to Roku Premier - 500Mbs + (download speeds - Speedtest.xfinity.co everywhere) 

Play window on Macbook and TV blank - audio only. You Tube and my own videos were fine. 

HBO and ATV+ both broadcast (mirroring I guess) through Airplay fine last night. Just not today.

It works fine from my iPhone 11 though.

So I'm guessing that there is no way to use Airplay "basic" from Mackbook / MacOS- only mirroring? when streaming HBOMax?  Ios seems fine however?

Thanks, Lou

0 Kudos
BlueIris
Level 8

I spoke too soon. It started fine, then locked on the "cover image" again after the lead-in, and all I get is the audio. Roku Premiere model 3920X, serial YH009M824248, ID K42999824248, OS version 9.4.0 build 4190-91.

TV's a 32" three-year-old Samsung flatscreen sitting on top of a chest of drawers such that the model info isn't available. I'm streaming from a 9" gen 6 iPad running iOS 14.2.

I tested with Hulu, and everything works the way it's supposed to. Just for information, I had to give Hulu permission to use AirPlay; I don't recall being asked for that in the HBO app. So, this is maybe a permissions issue? Once I gave permission in Hulu, everything started working just fine. Also, for my fellow sufferer, that solved the issue with AppleTV+, too.

0 Kudos
BlueIris
Level 8

UPDATE

I have discovered the issue results when the video has been downloaded. Direct streaming works fine.

Adam_
Level 7

Same with me. Downloads just play audio but streaming works. We going to get this fixed?

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Adam_ 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model

-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
-Roku audio output setting
-TV manufacturer/model
-Apple device model
-iOS version
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Leeeooo
Level 7

I had the same problem. I was trying to use screen share and then play in the movie where as you should play the movie on your iPhone and then select screen play on the video

0 Kudos