Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Battleborne3
Level 7

Airplay 2 ethernet required?

Do you have to have a constant Ethernet for airplay or just to set it up?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Airplay 2

You don't have to have a wired (ethernet) connection at all for AirPlay (hence the "Air" part of AirPlay), to setup/use.

You do have to have an internet connection (however you get it) to your Roku device for the initial RokuOS firmware update and the AirPlay (hidden) app update that enable the functionality (and for any subsequent updates to either required). 

As to whether internet access is required during AirPlay sessions: no, it isnt; but considering that most AirPlay sessions will probably be mirroring/casting internet content streaming to another device, it becomes mostly moot.

0 Kudos
Battleborne3
Level 7

What about HomeKit? when i try to connect to HomeKit it says i need it connected to my router through an Ethernet connection. Is that supposed to be permanent or temporary for the setup.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

No idea (I don't own any Apple products), but it suggests it needs ethernet access always, and it also suggests a bug (that should be reported to Apple), because obviously many/most Roku devices are going to be connected wirelessly.

0 Kudos
Williamt100
Level 11

I successfully used it this morning.

I enabled WiFi on my iMac, went to my Roku Ultra, turned on Airplay, chose my Roku from the list of available devices on my iMac Airplay menu, authorized for the first connection via a PIN and it worked as expected.

Both my iMac and Roku Ultra were connected via the same Wifi frequency (5 GHz).

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos