Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavRoc

AirPlay Mirroring Works, But Not Streaming

I'm having a strange problem using AirPlay from a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.14.6 to Roku Streaming Stick+.  I am trying to stream a livestream that displays within a window on a webpage (the webpage is itself displayed in a tab in Safari).  Screen mirroring works fine.  So I can mirror my entire desktop (using the AirPlay icon in the OS X top menu bar), and see the webpage displayed on the TV, and the audio streams as well.  However the livestream window on the web page has its own AirPlay icon within the streaming window itself.  And I would prefer to AirPlay just that stream, so that I could see it on the TV, and switch to another window on my desktop while the stream keeps playing in the background on my computer, and thus also on my TV.  That would allow me to view a related web page containing text that goes along with what is happening in the livestream.  Unfortunately, when I click on the Airplay icon within the livestream, as opposed to in the OS X top menubar, the only thing that comes up on the TV screen is the AirPlay menu, where I can access the Roku AirPlay and HomeKit settings.  In other words, mirroring works, but streaming from a window doesn't.  Thanks for any suggestions.

39 REPLIES 39
Gang

Re: AirPlay Mirroring Works, But Not Streaming

Same issue using iOs. Safari web videos take me to airplay settings on tv and wont show the video at all

alex_m
Reel Rookie

Same issue. Done a lot of searching, no leads. Frustrating given that whole pitch with AirPlay and Roku is to not have to worry about the details on this sort fhing. 

Adj126

Same issue here.   Even if you try to just watch the video via the screen mirror it will still take you to that page.  

James3332
Reel Rookie

Same issue.  Getting screen on TV that says Airplay on the left then on the right it shows my wifi network name and "choose this device" with device name shown.  Below that is option to go to Airplay and HomeKit settings.  I can't find a solution anywhere!

BK509

Also having the same problem. It worked fine a couple of weeks ago and now video won’t play. Only screen mirroring works.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@James3332 @BK509

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model devices are you using?

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How do I use AirPlay and HomeKit with my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
James3332
Reel Rookie

One device is a TCL 5-Series Roku Smart TV, model #65S535, and the other is a Roku Streaming Stick+.  Per my post whenever I go to Airplay something from my computer I get the screen that I showed in the photo in my original post.  

I've tried all the troubleshooting mentioned in the support page and also searched online a lot.  Apparently this is a common issue.  Not sure what is wrong.  But I can't airplay from my computer to either of my Roku devices.  Hoping for a solution.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
alex_m
Reel Rookie

Mine is a TCL 55R625 RokuTV running A109X, software version 9.4.0, build 4206-88

0 Kudos
James3332
Reel Rookie

You’re having the same issue?

0 Kudos