Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James3332
Reel Rookie

Re: AirPlay Mirroring Works, But Not Streaming

This thread is months old and I don't know what you're talking about.  I'm like a landlord?  Ever since you failed multiple times to be able to fix the problem or even have a small understanding of what is happening I have given up.  It's way too much work to try and get even a Roku employee to understand this.  I don't look at this thread at all.  Let's move on here and we just accept the product doesn't deliver the feature set it promises and Roku customer service employees resort to name-calling when they can't understand what's going on.  End of thread please.

0 Kudos
ddev

I see. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. I feel bad for criticizing Danny's answer now. Definitely a case of miscommunication, and rush reply without doing research on my part.

I will reach out to them directly via the link you provided. I didn't initially see the path you laid out to get through their menu, and gave up on the first dropdown because I read "setup" and ignored "and using" part. Good tips all around. Appreciate your time!

0 Kudos
ddev

Re: AirPlay Mirroring Works, But Not StreamingRokuDanny-R

Hello, I'm not a Roku employee. I'm a frustrated user just like you, and the analogy was aimed at Roku, not you - the poster.

@StreamerUser actually gave a really good reply to the whole thing and they also provided a path to actually reach out to customer support directly. I will be hitting them up now. Why don't you send them a message as well, and we'll get some eyes on this.

Shanlabbott
Reel Rookie

Re: AirPlay Mirroring Works, But Not StreamingRokuDanny-R

This is so frustrating. I am not a tech professional. I am a normal everyday user. I shouldn’t need to learn all of the complexities of terminology between different platforms to have an issue fixed on this device.

The reply to my last comment was disrespectful and out of line. And let me tell you - that I have used “airplay” or what some of you I believe are also referring to as “casting” before - and when I said that is better I mean I can direct a movie from my phone to my tc through it - and still be able to use other apps on my phone without interruption. This is not working and gets stuck on the menu screen - but it used to work.

What I refer to as “screen mirroring” is literally labeled that way on my phone - separately  from “airplay” - that featuring mirrors anything I do on my phone. My main screen, any apps I open, etc. I can’t just play a movie from my phone while also checking my email, etc. This feature is working.

I am bit a tech expert. I have another job and career. It’s so frustrating being demeaned and ignored when this issue is very clearly not just me having it. 

0 Kudos
cheerful24
Channel Surfer

For me screen mirroring means I get a small image on my TV, it doesn't fill the screen so it's useless.  I also can't get Airplay to work, my Apple devise tries but the Roku airplay page justs displays, goes blank, displays again. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@cheerful24 wrote:

For me screen mirroring means I get a small image on my TV, it doesn't fill the screen so it's useless.  I also can't get Airplay to work, my Apple devise tries but the Roku airplay page justs displays, goes blank, displays again. 

As per my previous posts on this topic in this thread:  Screen mirroring (Miracast) wont work with Apple devices without an additional Miracast-compatible app.

If you are trying to use AirPlay-mirroring (via Control Center) and it doesnt fill the screen, thats a sending device configuration/AP protocol design issue.  See if you can modify your sending device output settings (perhaps rotate your phone/tablet).

If you are trying to use AirPlay-casting (from within an app) and it just eventually shows the AirPlay settings page on the Roku, then:

This appears to be a recurring issue with the AirPlay2 support, however:

1) Verify you have the latest AirPlay support:
    A) Using remote: Home 3x, Up 2x, L, R, L, R, L (AirPlay should be 1.1.14-104 or later)
    B) Settings/System/System update/Check now (should be 10.0.0-4195 or later) - try again

2) Disable & re-enable WiFi on the Apple devices - try again

3) Restart all devices (Rokus, Apples, router/modem) - try again

4) Reset the paired devices: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Require Code/Reset Paired Devices - try again

5) Setup HomeKit: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Setup HomeKit - try again

6) Switch either Rokus or Apples from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, or from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz - try again

7) Switch Roku's display output to 1080p - try again

0 Kudos
Meyerson
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra. Same problem. I can't un-select "AirPlay and HomeKit settings" to select "Choose This Device." Frustrating indeed. (And now I'm typing more characters in the hope it's enough to get this forum to let me post.)

0 Kudos
TianTian

I have the same exact issue. It works when AirPlay mirroring, but not when AirPlay casting. Please help!

0 Kudos
Shanlabbott
Reel Rookie

For me, once the new Roku update was installed about a in November, it’s been working for me. There are some glitches with it getting stuck or put into a shortened loop, but usually if I disconnect the airplay to my Roku and play on my phone for a moment, then switch back, it works again.

0 Kudos
Shanlabbott
Reel Rookie

For me, once the new Roku update was installed about a in November, it’s been working for me. There are some glitches with it getting stuck or put into a shortened loop, but usually if I disconnect the airplay to my Roku and play on my phone for a moment, then switch back, it works again.