Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UltraRokooUser
Channel Surfer

Aging Ultra 4640x - Performance Issues or Something Else?

My Roku Ultra (4640 series)  is old, but still working. I’m curious if others have experienced any performance issues with these original Ultra’s over time, from startup speed of different channels to how long it takes something to start streaming once you hit play? I’m 

My understanding it that most performance issues are based on the channel (Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, etc.), as well as your Mbps (mine is 400 on Spectrum with a new Nighthawk cable modem, CAX80 1GB), and not an aging Roku processor, but there’s been a noticeable drop in performance for me this summer that overlaps with my upgrading the modem and increasing Mbps to 400
. I’ve also noticed that the TV screen will go black for 3-5 seconds before coming back on to what was streaming, the media isn’t paused when this happens and you have to rewind to see what you missed. I’m wired directly into my Roku too, not wireless, and rebooting the Roku doesn’t appear to help.

Would moving to the latest Ultra version with a new processor be a potential solution? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank 
you. 
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Aging Ultra 4640x - Performance Issues or Something Else?

@UltraRokooUser wrote:

My Roku Ultra (4640 series) is old, but still working. I’m curious if others have experienced any performance issues with these original Ultra’s over time, from startup speed of different channels to how long it takes something to start streaming once you hit play? I’m 

My understanding it that most performance issues are based on the channel (Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, etc.), as well as your Mbps (mine is 400 on Spectrum with a new Nighthawk cable modem, CAX80 1GB), and not an aging Roku processor, but there’s been a noticeable drop in performance for me this summer that overlaps with my upgrading the modem and increasing Mbps to 400. I’ve also noticed that the TV screen will go black for 3-5 seconds before coming back on to what was streaming, the media isn’t paused when this happens and you have to rewind to see what you missed. I’m wired directly into my Roku too, not wireless, and rebooting the Roku doesn’t appear to help.

Would moving to the latest Ultra version with a new processor be a potential solution? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you.

The data speed isn't the issue. You can stream 4K with a much slower speed. 25 Mbps is more than enough for that, so rule that out.

That doesn't mean it's not network related though. That could be the network adapter in the Roku device (I'm not leaning that way, but not ruling out).

It could be something is interfering with the network signal, such as a new device nearby, and maybe not even on your network, if a nearby network is on the same channel.

The real concern is the blanking screen. That's not a good sign. That is very likely not network related, as interrruptions would likely show as buffering, not as a blanking screen.

Your device is five years old, or will be soon. Still, it should have some good life left in it, but it may be on its last legs. Roku only produced that model for a single year; it's replacement, the 4660 and the next year's 4661 are actually the very same devices, so the 4660/4661 are considered the same device (only the difference was the remote included in the cardboard box, not in the device itself). As far as I know, the major reason for the change was simply dropping support for optical out, not anything about the device in particular (unlike, say, the Roku 4 which has many issues).

All that to say that I do suspect your Roku may be approaching end of life, but not because of any network issue. It's likely the device overall. However, that doesn't rule out network issues in addition to device issues. So, do keep in mind that if you choose to replace the device, there may be some network troubleshooting to do.

Every current Roku model has a better processor than your 2016 year model Roku. I've been a fan of the Ultra (I have the 4660) since I got mine in 2017, but I wouldn't rule out any device. I normally steer away from the lower end, particularly the entry level, models, always have, but that's just me. Others get great use from them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
UltraRokooUser
Channel Surfer

What are a few examples of devices that could interfere with the network signal and even if I’m hard wired with a CAT7 cable?

I have my Sony TV, Sony Soundbar, Cable Modem/Wireless Router combo all behind the TV. I also have 2 Sonos speakers, but they’re used separately Ford music and I wouldn’t describe them as nearby (at least 10 feet away).

If this matters, they’re all powered by a smart surge protector that reboots everyday at midnight.

Thank you again for you input.

0 Kudos
longstrider
Channel Surfer

I know this is an old thread, but for those just coming here for this problem (particularly screen going black for a second or three), I had this issue and upgrading to a new, certified ultra high speed cable fixed it for me (yes, HDMI cables can be weak to start with, and do wear out or get weaker over time despite all the arm chair quarterbacks adamantly vowing they either work perfectly or they don't work at all). I also had a brand new hdmi cable & cable box from Time Warner Cable that had washed out colors and a slightly "snowy" 1080i picture, and cured that with a new matching (same size, type, etc.) HDMI cable form the cable company after showing their tech the difference with another cable from a different device. I have since found variations in picture (and occassinally sound) quality when comparing lots of similar type but different brands and same brand different lengths, even same brand and same length of HDMI cables as mentioned above. Despite the previously wide-spread urban myth that all hdmi cables either work correctly or don't work period, the general public is finally starting to realize that different cables' and devices' abilities vary greatly. HDMI is a very finicky connection method, and inferior in some ways to other methods such as display port. I don't pretend at being an expert, but I do have a lot hands-on experience with HDMI, USB, and SPIDF connected devices. I have a bunch of HDMI devices and a ridiculously large variety of HDMI cables. Hope this helps.