Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manc
Level 7

Advise on Roku 3810 or 4200

Hi All, 

I wonder if anyone could advise on which Roku streaming stick/box I should go for, I have my mind set on a Roku Streaming Stick 3810 or a Roku 4200.

My use is:-

1080p TV (wont be upgrading to 4k)
NowTV & Amazon Video subs
Plex server which I hope to cast or DLNA to a Roku box
Night listening (kids asleep so TV vol is zero, so use headphones from either app or remote)

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Advise on Roku 3810 or 4200

"manc" wrote:
Hi All, 

I wonder if anyone could advise on which Roku streaming stick/box I should go for, I have my mind set on a Roku Streaming Stick 3810 or a Roku 4200.

Night listening (kids asleep so TV vol is zero, so use headphones from either app or remote)

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Are you outside the U.S.? Updating a profile to show the location (country, at a minimum) is helpful because the devices offered can differ from country to country.

I'm going to assume you're outside the U.S., perhaps in the U.K. because of the NowTV thing. Although I think Canada might access that. Anyway, guessing U.K. (Location on the profile helps, see?)

If you're in the U.K., the Stick+ is the best device. However, to save £50 and get the Express, you would need to use the app on your phone:
https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/compare#sku=3900EU&3810EU
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
manc
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"manc" wrote:
Hi All, 

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Are you outside the U.S.? Updating a profile to show the location (country, at a minimum) is helpful because the devices offered can differ from country to country.

I'm going to assume you're outside the U.S., perhaps in the U.K. because of the NowTV thing. Although I think Canada might access that. Anyway, guessing U.K. (Location on the profile helps, see?)

If you're in the U.K., the Stick+ is the best device. However, to save £50 and get the Express, you would need to use the app on your phone:
https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/compare#sku=3900EU&3810EU

Thank you for the swift reply!
Yes I am in the UK Smiley Happy
I can get the Stick+ for £40 secondhand, sounds like the best one to go for then.
Do you think Roku 4 is worth going for.. or are my requirements simply so low that I would not see any benefit.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"manc" wrote:
Do you think Roku 4 is worth going for.. or are my requirements simply so low that I would not see any benefit.
Cheers.

I don't thing the Roku 4 is the best option. The Stick+ you're looking at is a current device, not just current U.K., but current worldwide. The 4 was discontinued in the U.S. around 2 years ago. I'd stay away from older stuff, just to be on the safe side. While I prefer the Ultra (replaced the 4, then updated last year), the Stick is a very good device.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos