Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert1021
Streaming Star

Adding OTA local stations using ROKU Express (ROKU station Live TV ) to the live channels

Bought the ROKU Express with voice.  Set up was easy.  There is a section on the menu for ROKU help etc.I have an OTA antenna hooked up and get 50 local stations.  In their help section it speaks to adding the channels from your antenna into the ROKU live TV app.  Perhaps its me, but is this ability only for Smart TVs that have ROKU built in?  If so ROKU should make this more clear, or give that ability when one purchases the ROKU express device.  Not sure if the Ultra has this ability but one would think if you have ROKU whether it be in the TV or the device, you would have the same ability.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Adding OTA local stations using ROKU Express (ROKU station Live TV ) to the live channels

It's only for the TVs.  None of the standalone units have an antenna input so how could they add local channels?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Robert1021
Streaming Star

Re: Adding OTA local stations using ROKU Express (ROKU station Live TV ) to the live channels

Rather stupid that they dont have that app on the strem devices - they can put whatever they wish.  Also have read on various posts that even their ROKU tv apps on TCL and or Hisense dont allow the locals from the antenna to add to the channel guide - contrary to what is advertised by ROKU on their tips and tricks.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Roku TVs certainly do have local channels listed in the Channel Guide. The TV has to scan for whatever OTA channels are available, and they are all added to the guide. The user does have the ability to hide a channel, say for example the signal is right on the edge and you don't want to mess with the constant pixelization. But what you can't do is manually add an OTA station on a known channel that the TV didn't detect on the scan. That's a great annoyance for users that have to rotate their antenna for certain stations. There's no way to scan with the antenna in a single position and get all of them. That might be the complaint you're read about. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Robert1021
Streaming Star

I am not saying that they dont have the ability to scan.  I am saying that there are some roku models of hisense and tcl that while  they say they have the ability, and when scanned, they do not add to the channel listing for live.  You can go on youtube or google and there are many people who have had this issue.

I simply want to purchase the correct roku tv that is actually going to do what they state and not some bs ad on their website.

My original post however was concerning a new roku streaming device express plus not having the ability to do the same thing.  There is live stream TV on the roku express however, when you scan locals (with an OTA) they don NOT add to the live channel list.  This is a pitfall of the device.  If it can place apps on a screen and there is a live tv withing the ROKU channel, then they could certainly create a live TV app and allow one to add scanned live channels - the express plus streaming device does not.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I'm not certain what you're seeing on the Express, but no Roku player supports scanning for and playing OTA channels. They don't contain OTA tuners, so can't do any such function. There are devices that can be placed on your home network that have OTA tuners and can be viewed on devices such as Roku players. One such device is the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun. But the Roku player has nothing to do with how that device scans for channels or populates any on-screen guide.

I can't speak to a TCL or Hisense TV, as I've never owned either, but both my Sharp and Insignia Roku TVs display all scanned local channels and have a channel guide for those channels. 

Dan

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@atc98092 wrote:

I can't speak to a TCL or Hisense TV, as I've never owned either, but both my Sharp and Insignia Roku TVs display all scanned local channels and have a channel guide for those channels. 

.. as does my TCL Roku TV.  Unfortunately I live on the wrong side of a hill and my antenna reception is pretty erratic.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
renojim

@Robert1021 wrote:

I am not saying that they dont have the ability to scan.  I am saying that there are some roku models of hisense and tcl that while  they say they have the ability, and when scanned, they do not add to the channel listing for live.  You can go on youtube or google and there are many people who have had this issue.

I simply want to purchase the correct roku tv that is actually going to do what they state and not some bs ad on their website.

My original post however was concerning a new roku streaming device express plus not having the ability to do the same thing.  There is live stream TV on the roku express however, when you scan locals (with an OTA) they don NOT add to the live channel list.  This is a pitfall of the device.  If it can place apps on a screen and there is a live tv withing the ROKU channel, then they could certainly create a live TV app and allow one to add scanned live channels - the express plus streaming device does not.

How would the Express know anything about your local channels?  That's like asking, "Why can't my DVD player add local channels?".  Those "Live" channels the Express can receive are streamed over the Internet, not broadcast.  There's a very big difference.  No standalone Roku can receive broadcast channels.  That's up to the receiver in your TV.  No external device has access to that.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tonybloney

if I understand correctlyyour roku express(with no power or volume on the remote) cant find ota channels. This is my problem. I can find them on the tv ok but not on roku. I have a roku tv that can see them all. the roku tv has a channel called LIVE TV, the express does not was the solution to buy the expess with voice remote? my basic express is hooked to a HAIER SMART TV without roku built in. whats up roku?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@tonybloney Roku players cannot receive OTA stations. Only a device with a ATSC tuner (North American standard, Europe uses a different standard) is capable of viewing OTA signals, and no Roku player has such a tuner. The Roku TV, certainly, as that's one of its core functions. The only way to view an OTA signal on a Roku player is to use an external tuner that connects to the same network as the Roku. Silicon Dust makes such a tuner, including a new model that supports ATSC 3.0, the new OTA broadcast standard that is starting to roll out over the country. Tuners such as this usually have 2-4 internal tuners, and can be used to watch more than one station at a time. They connect to the Roku using a channel called HD HomeRun and can also be accessed by other supported devices on your network, such as a home theater PC running software such as J River Media Center. 

To watch OTA TV, you must use the tuner built into your Haier TV, not the Roku. 

Dan

0 Kudos