Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Accidentally deleted a device and can't figure out how to add it again

Jump to solution

I accidentally deleted a Roku streaming stick from my Roku account.  The streaming stick is being used at another location and that device now has no channels listed.  I'd simply like to re link it to my Roku account, yet can't find anywhere in the settings to do so.  All support material suggest linking it upon initial setup using the quick start guide.  I can't seem to find any info on how to re link a device after its been deleted.  I'm sure I could do a factory reset and start all over, but was trying to avoid that.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Barry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Accidentally deleted a device and can't figure out how to add it again

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to remind everyone of the Community guidelines when creating a post:

Be kind, courteous, and positive when posting. The Community exists to help users. Posting abusive, obscene, harassing, hostile, defamatory, offensive, tortious, argumentative, inappropriate or otherwise objectionable content may result in loss of access to the Community. Roku reserves the right to remove any content at its discretion. 

Closing this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

30 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Do a factory reset on this device to return it to a just-out-of-the-box condition, then set it up from scratch. See:
https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

If you do a Factory reset you should get a link

you can enter here https://my.roku.com/link

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

What is supposed to occur on a factory reset?  The device is at another location and after instructing my mom to do a factory reset, she enters the code given and says the cursor just jumps back to #1 after hitting ok on the reset.  I had her then do a system restart, but could not get it to any point where she had a code so I could link it to my account.  I have a feeling the factory reset isn't being done correctly on her end, just not sure what else to tell her.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

@BarryW wrote:

... she enters the code given and says the cursor just jumps back to #1 after hitting ok on the reset...

Where is she entering this? It should be on your account at my.roku.com. https://my.roku.com/link

Have her reset again and provide you with the new code so that you can enter it yourself. I don't know how long the code stays active so you probably ought to do this while on the phone to her in real time.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

She is still trying to to do the factory reset, which requires a 4 digit code to be entered before it will allow you to do the reset.  She is telling me she is entering the 4 digit code  and hitting "ok" and nothing seems to happen, which I'm assuming on the reset the device should power off and back up and then a linking code would be given. 

Does anyone else see the fact that in order to add a device to an account after the initial installation, that a factory reset has to be done, a major shortcoming in Roku's system?  What if I want to simply move a Roku device from one account to another, I'd have to do a complete factory reset which effectively deletes all history of upgrades.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution
Roku devices can be reset using their reset buttons as an alternate method to using the onscreen menu. Instructions are included in the link in my first reply.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

On the streaming stick 3800 is the reset a pinhole or a button?  Also, Its my understanding that doing a factory reset will remove all preferences and reset the roku to its initial state.  This would wipe off the ATT TV Now app.  As I currently understand it, because of the dispute between Roku and ATT, its impossible to download the ATT TV app now. (unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks)  So by doing a factory reset I'd be unable to view TV using this Roku.  

When I accidentally deleted this roku from my account all the apps disappeared from the home screen and it seems impossible to add any of them back now.  Do you have to be linked to a Roku account in order to add any channels from the store?  

I'd really not like to have to do a factory reset, because essentially this would render this roku unable to use the ATT TV app which is the primary channel used.  There's got to be a way to link a Roku to an account without having to do a full reset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

If you have AT&T you dont need Roku to watch it.

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

Yes stick a paper clip down the pinhole and hold the button

down there down for a good 30 seconds. While the Roku s powered on.

She probably should start fresh with her own account. She can do it.

It might be a button Im not certain.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

In order to watch ATT TV Now (formerly Directv Now) you need a streaming device such as a Roku, firestick, Nvidia, etc....     

I would love for her to start fresh with her own account, but that still would involve doing a factory reset correct?  A factory reset would render her roku useless since she would be unable to add back the ATT Now channel because of the current dispute between ATT and Roku.  

Can someone explain why when her Roku was deleted from my account, it wiped off all channels from her home screen?   When I try to add back channels such as netflix, there seems to be no way from the channel store.

0 Kudos