Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjpm
Level 7

A Roku Box's Life Expectancy

With daily use, is there an estimated lifespan for a Roku box? I have a 2 XS that is just over two years old.
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.
0 Kudos
24 Replies
theuser86
Level 7

Re: A Roku Box's Life Expectancy

No idea, but it'll probably outlast the usefulness of the device (aka you'll want to upgrade).
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"mjpm" wrote:
With daily use, is there an estimated lifespan for a Roku box? I have a 2 XS that is just over two years old.

I got my first Roku in December 2010. I'll let you know when it stops working.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

I bought a N1000 within a few weeks of its introduction. It is still working albeit limited by the lack of processor power and missing a few channels. But the Lady that is using it is very happy with its functioning.

I would say that, as others have said, the Roku boxes will, most probably, outlive the current mode of streaming. They will, however, probably be predeceased by their power supply.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

I've never had one die of natural causes. Lightning took my XDS.
My N1000 from Sept.2008 still works fine. My sister uses it almost daily.
She's decided she wants a new R1 however.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
dward
Level 7

Less than 6 months for me before it quit and then found out they only offer a 3 month warranty. That 3 months says it all really and having a box last yrs is most likely a fluke. There are many many refurbished boxes for sale so they are breaking down and the company knows it otherwise they would stand behind their product for at least 12 months. I recommended so many friends purchase a box I hope theirs dont break down like mine. This has made me very angry and they have upset a once very loyal promoter and customer. STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT DAMN IT 3 MONTHS WHAT AN EFFING INSULT TO YOUR CUSTOMERS.
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

I own 4 have gifted 9 been buying since December 2010 and had to replace 1 power supply ( $ 2.00 at the local pawn shop) --- very satisfied.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I've owned 5 Roku boxes (sold two) and none of them have ever died.. first one was purchased in 2008.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

"dward" wrote:
Less than 6 months for me before it quit and then found out they only offer a 3 month warranty.

That happens from time to time...my 2 XS got stuck in a loop @ the 3 month mark after an update...Roku replaced it.
Haven't had any problems with no unit, been over a year now.

I agree that a 12 months would be a better warranty, I'm not sure why they choose 3 months...but I do have a guess...
My Blu-ray Players have 12 months, but they're on maybe once a week...where as my Roku is on 24/7....I think that's why they choose 3 months....JMO
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"lion7718" wrote:
"dward" wrote:
Less than 6 months for me before it quit and then found out they only offer a 3 month warranty.

That happens from time to time...my 2 XS got stuck in a loop @ the 3 month mark after an update...Roku replaced it.
Haven't had any problems with no unit, been over a year now.

I agree that a 12 months would be a better warranty, I'm not sure why they choose 3 months...but I do have a guess...
My Blu-ray Players have 12 months, but they're on maybe once a week...where as my Roku is on 24/7....I think that's why they choose 3 months....JMO

The original Rokus (2008-2010 I believe) had a 1 year warranty.. I believe as a way to lower the company's overall costs (and the costs of the Roku boxes) they shortened the warranty.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos