Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andonevris
Level 8

9.4.0 timeout to roku home screen

Ever since the 9.4.0 update channels which are left running will be put into the background and roku will display its home screen and screensaver.

Before this update if I left a channel open it would stay open indefinitely which is what I would consider normal behavior.  The only reason I can think for this change is so roku can shove more adverts down our throats.

Can you just leave the channels alone, if I want to see the roku home screen I know how to get there on my own thanks.

12 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: 9.4.0 timeout to roku home screen

Have you disabled the bandwidth saver?  Settings->Network->Bandwidth saver

0 Kudos
Andonevris
Level 8

Yes bandwidth saver is set to off.

0 Kudos
barr88
Level 8

I can also confirm that it's a 9.4 issue and that the bandwidth saver setting makes no difference. It's especially annoying to keep getting kicked back to the Home screen when you only use one channel (Plex, in my case) the overwhelming majority of the time. Much like you, the only real reason I can think of for this new behavior (especially considering that the bandwidth saver setting makes no difference) is to force the user to see more advertising on the Home screen.

I've rolled back to 9.3 on my Roku's to "fix" it for now, but that's a temporary fix that won't last once the 9.4 rollout is complete and the boxes auto-update. In the meantime, I'm now (and for the first time; I'd been a satisfied Roku customer until now) looking into other options for my streaming players, just in case this new "behavior" is a permanent/mandatory choice by Roku. I'm open to suggestions (pros/cons, etc) from anyone on that one, by the way.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@barr88 

Thanks for the post.

The next time that you encounter this issue and you are on the OS 9.4, can you please provide us with teh following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Andonevris
Level 8

Device: 3810EU - Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial No. - YH00CL575720

Software - 9.4.0 - BUILD 4190-50

Device ID - 23398C572720

I only watch 2 channels, Plex and Amazon Prime, both exhibit the same behaviour.

I can't provide tracker ID since I have never seen the actual switchover occur, I leave the roku on a channel and when I come back to it some hours later it's on the roku screensaver. 

There is a timeout but I haven't determined the length of time before the switchover happens, it's certainly longer than 30 minutes, after that length of time the original channel screensaver is still active.

If this wasn't an intentional functionality change then the bandwidth saver seems an obvious potential culprit, mine is set to off but is it possible that isn't being honoured?

renojim
Level 21

The bandwidth saver only has an effect while you're actively streaming.  It has no effect otherwise.

0 Kudos
Andonevris
Level 8

Sure, if it's working correctly, I was wondering if a bug crept in.

0 Kudos
barr88
Level 8

FYI. For Plex, at least, the new timeout to the Roku home screen looks to be around the 2 hour mark... and I don't believe there are any warnings given before it returns to the Roku home screen. I'd left the TV on last night while doing some work on the laptop. The Plex screensaver was active and in my field of view when I noticed the direct return to the Roku home screen at approximately the 2 hour mark.

Unless it's some kind of software oversight in the new Roku release, I just don't see the need for this new "behavior" in 9.4, other than the opportunity to expose users to more Roku ad content (like I need MORE ad content in my life). There might be a case to be made for the ad exposure if the Roku device was free (and therefore ad-supported), but it most certainly isn't.

As stated earlier, Plex is all I use 99% of the time. It's not the end of the world, but it's annoying to have to re-launch Plex EVERY time I turn on the TV now, instead of just immediately picking up where I left off like I've been able to do up to now. The annoyance, along with the general principle (I appreciate being treated as a valued customer, NOT a commodity to be exploited at every turn), has got me investigating other streaming devices for the first time since my first Roku purchase half a decade ago.

renojim
Level 21

The infrastructure required most certainly isn't free either, not that I'm arguing in any way for this "feature".

0 Kudos