Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joejoe57
Level 7

9.2.0 update is not good

Jump to solution

The 9.2.0 update cause my roku to lock up and reboot when I first start to watch. Its fine after it reboots,   After it shuts off and later start watching again it will do it again.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: 9.2.0 update is not good

Jump to solution

@Dan49 wrote:

This update is horrible. Both my Roku Ultra and Premier+ stop streaming after  a few hours and revert to the home screen. Also when asleep with the screen saver active they go to a black screen after a few hours. The remote for the Premier+ has been very slow since the update. They need to get this fixed and soon.

The "stop streaming" you are referring to is a new feature called "Bandwidth Saver". While Roku does turn it ON by default in 9.20, you can turn if off in settings, as well. See here:  

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-adds-a-bandwidth-saver-mode-to-auto-stop-streams-for-customers-... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
46 Replies
CurtC
Level 7

Jump to solution

Also had lockups today.  New version of Roku Ultra.  It corrupted the micro SD, I had to remove it to get it to boot, and I also had to remove the batteries from the remote to get that working again also!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I've had my 4640RW Ultra for about two years now. Other than very often dropping the remote connection (done this since new, as did the first unit I got, which I returned), and failing to remain connected to my U-verse WiFi gateway, which I solved once and for all by instead Ethernet-ing the Roku through a TP-Link ethernet-over-powerline connection (great setup, btw), it has been pretty much "stone axe" reliable. That is, until October 31st when, unbeknownst to me, it "upgraded" itself to 9.2.0, build 4131-29. Now, more than half the time when I'm leaving an app (NetFlix, Prime, etc.), it just locks up on black screen. Since the "upgrade", I've had to reboot the unit several times each night, which is usually 4 to 7 hours of use. I've had to put the unit's wall cube on a switched circuit so I no longer have to tear apart my equipment cabinet to get at it.

I'm getting really tired of this nonsense. Does anyone know if any of the many alternatives to Roku work any more reliably than this? 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Doctor_Manhatta Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing. We're sorry to hear about the frustrations—that's never what we hope to hear!

I'd like to gather some additional information to help our team investigate this issue further. Could you please send me a quick private message with your specific TV's brand and model number, as well as any additional details about the issue you are seeing, the steps you take the resolve the issue when you restart the device, etc. I will pass that information along to our team so we can work towards a resolution. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
MikeZ
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra as well, model 4660R, and ever since the 9.2.0 update was installed a few days ago, I also get a black screen when trying to exit the Amazon Prime Video channel.  The channel is up to date.

jet
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having the same exact issues with my Roku Ultra since the update.

• If the Roku is asleep, before the update it would show up on the TV with the screensaver; After the update, it's a digital distortion of the image.
  • Every single time after being asleep for a while and then trying to launch an app, it'll freeze and restart itself.
  • The volume rocker on the remote no longer works when you're not on that specific HDMI port either whereas before the update, I could still use the Roku remote to adjust the volume on my sound bar no matter which HDMI port i'm on.

This most recent update was a pretty bad update and doesn't seem like it was QA'd at all.

Scott_C
Level 9

Jump to solution

@jet wrote:

I'm having the same exact issues with my Roku Ultra since the update.

• If the Roku is asleep, before the update it would show up on the TV with the screensaver; After the update, it's a digital distortion of the image.
  • Every single time after being asleep for a while and then trying to launch an app, it'll freeze and restart itself.
  • The volume rocker on the remote no longer works when you're not on that specific HDMI port either whereas before the update, I could still use the Roku remote to adjust the volume on my sound bar no matter which HDMI port i'm on.

This most recent update was a pretty bad update and doesn't seem like it was QA'd at all.

Thanks for sharing these extra details. This 9.2 update has rendered my Roku Ultra functionally unusable, because it keeps losing the connection now. Wish there was a way to at least temporarily roll back to 9.0, while Roku works out all the bugs in 9.2.

Scott

carol1124
Level 8

Jump to solution
I'm also having the same problems. I even purchased the 2019 ultra thinking that it would fix things but it did not. Netflix is the problem for me. The other apps work fine. I spoke with Netflix who were completely useless.

Jump to solution

I've found a temporary work-around to the Prime exit hang-up issue. You shouldn't have to do this, but rather than using the "back" button to back out to the app's "exit" window, just hit the "home" button on the remote instead. I didn't used to like doing that, as I thought it would start to cause problems for either the app or the Roku, but now, after the 9.2 "update", it seems that just the opposite may be true. Using "home" to exit apps now seems to be less confusing for the Roku.

0 Kudos
Roadkill1313
Level 8

Jump to solution
Every day I have to reboot the Roku multiple times. The tell is when I switch to the Roku Ultra input the TV shows squiggly lines. I hit the home button and the UI is crazy sluggish. If I try and use Hulu to play a stream it hangs, crashes and reboots. When I see the squiggles I just go to settings and navigate to reboot the Roku. My guess is it takes about 4 hrs of the Roku not being used (maybe a memory leak?). I have a nature 4K screensaver, and a Samsung TV. I control the Roku either with iOS app or a harmony remote. This has been happening since I received the update on 11/1. This is a horrible customer experience multiple times a day.

What’s the ETA on a fix, Roku? Is there an alpha/beta release you wanna flag me for to test the fix? I’m game.