Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockou
Level 7

8.1 firmware problems

I have an Ultra (original Ultra) and just got 8.1 the other night so far I've noticed these problems...

Vudu - When playing any 4k HDR movie (all the 4k movies I own are in HDR , not sure if just a regular 4k movie will do this also) that I own it will start and play 30 seconds or so then it gets stuck with the buffering symbol. I wait maybe a minute maybe minute and a half then it starts playing again. If I have to ffw or rw then it starts the same crap again. If I play an SD or HD movie it is fine like before the update. 
My internet speeds are 150 down and 10 up and I wasn't having this issue before. No problems with buffering with any other Roku channel like Netflix, YouTube, Prime etc.

Losing audio in the Roku gui -  Sometimes I lose audio in the Roku gui and can't get it back. I tried switching to stereo and back to auto but it didn't help.  I have to reboot the Roku to get sound back in the gui. This has happened with various firmware updates on the Roku. They fix it then they break it again then they fix it etc. etc.

Lip Sync - Lip sync is off quite a bit now. I had to set my Yamaha receiver to correct lip sync for the Roku by about 235ms. It was fine without any lip sync correction before.

Advanced Settings refresh rate - When I turn on auto refresh rate, anything that is originally 25 fps plays back in 50 fps. Anything that is originally in 30 fps plays back in 60 fps. 24, 50 and 60 fps videos all play back with those frame rates.
Not a big problem at all but I was wondering if they changed it to do this or if it is just acting weird. I actually think it looks better to me this way. Before 8.1, any 25 and 30 fps videos would play on my tv at those frame rates but didn't look very good. They look much better now. 
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
1 Reply
rockou
Level 7

Re: 8.1 firmware problems

Today Vudu is working fine with no buffering issues so it may have been a problem with Vudu or the internet connection but doesn't appear to be a Roku issue.. 

As for the lip sync issue I am noticing sometimes it needs no correction and sometimes it does. For instance when watching YouTube or the Shockwerks channel I need to set it to no lip sync correction but in Netflix or Vudu I need to delay the audio 235ms to correct lip sync. Annoying...

Edit: I tried balancing the lip sync and found at about 110ms it works ok across the board. Still though, before 8.1 it was fine before with no lip sync adjustment.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos