Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpinmo
Level 7

8.1 Update When???

I have 2 Roku + a Roku TV and a Roku Ultra,  I was wondering when this new 8.1 Update will be coming out??  I keep checking and my devices haven't updated yet?  Any ideas as this was announced as coming out in April?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: 8.1 Update When???

I have a device that already has it. I also have devices that don't have it.

Roku does a rolling update. Different devices and different users -- and like me, different devices from the same user -- get updates at different times.

It's coming. When? Eventually.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

A lot of it depends on the metrics on the various platforms as they rollout new firmware.  Just be patient. Smiley Happy
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos

My TV is on 8.0.0, and by some of the comments on here, I'll rather wait on the 8.1 update
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

From some of the comments I'm reading on other non-ROKU forums folks are of the opinion ROKU pulled the 8.1 update for some tweaking/bug fixes.  The delay is probably a good thing for we end users on the other hand IF so, just more of ROKU not being transparent with their customer base.  
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hello:

Be careful what you wish for.  My Roku stick was working fine and when it got the 8.1 update, now the scrolling marqui screensaver flickers and the only way to fix it is with a soft reboot.  Luckily the new Roku's reboot quickly so it is a minor annoyance but if this would happen to one of my older units that take a long time to reboot, I would be extremely irritaded,  I really hope they fix this issue.  All I know is that this problem is new to my Roku stick and it started after the 8.1 firmware update,
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

My Roku Ultra is working darn near perfect right now on 8.01. Do not want 8.1 as the features don't sound interesting to me anyways.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

Doesn't matter.  When ROKU thinks you need the new firmware, you get the new firmware.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

Yes I know, it will be forced and I will have to take it but I am in no hurry. Hopefully my Ultra keeps working right after it does finally get 8.01.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos