Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mc510
Level 7

7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

The new firmware hit my Roku 2 XS a couple of days ago; it must have hit it pretty hard too, because I've got all kinds of new issues. Attempting to play a video (from any app) gives a blank screen with a text warning about HDCP not approved. Scrolling around on the main Roku screen, or within an app, causes the Roku video output to flicker off (which I experience as my TV popping up a notification box saying "looking for hdmi source) and then back on a second later. Restarting Roku makes these problems go away temporarily, but they keep coming back.

This is a pain in the a**; can I go back to version 6 firmware?
0 Kudos
204 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

We don't do rollbacks. Can you please PM me your Roku serial number (Settings > System > About) along with the full firmware version and build number? I'll also need the Make and Model number of your television.

Have you contacted CS, and if so, what's your case number?

C. Shawn Smith

PS: the HDCP not approved message is your television's warning message, not Roku. Try a different HDMI cable to see if that changes the behavior.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

Try dropping to 720p if you're on 1080p. I believe v7 software has a problem over gunning the HDMI at 1080p. I get this using a Stick (so no cable) though my TV (Samsung UE32F5000) reacts a little differently. Just got to wait for a fix, and drop res till then.

Let us know if this works for you.

@RokuShaun, is this one on the radar of your dev team yet? I suspect many of the glitching threads popping up re. v7 devices are really the same issue. Might be a big problem.
0 Kudos
mc510
Level 7

Thanks Shawn; I'll PM that info to you tonight when I'm back home.

I haven't contacted CS; was assuming that they only deal with under-warranty issues. Should I contact them?
0 Kudos
mc510
Level 7

"AndyCalling" wrote:
Try dropping to 720p if you're on 1080p. I believe v7 software has a problem over gunning the HDMI at 1080p.
My TV doesn't do 1080; it's a 32" 780p model so I've had the Roku set on 780p. I'll check tonight to make sure that's still the case after the firmware upgrade.
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

Try to drop res anyway if you can. Perhaps this issue kicks in at max TV res? Who knows, but playing with the res is a good bet to influence the problem.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

You don't need to contact CS ... it just makes it easier (on me) to reference your issue when I speak with CS Smiley Happy. I already have a call-out with CS, just waiting to hear back.

Your serial number will help the engineers by allowing them to look at your logs.

Note: this is a short week due to the holidays, but hopefully we'll get some feedback before Thanksgiving.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Weezknight
Level 7

"AndyCalling" wrote:
Try dropping to 720p if you're on 1080p. I believe v7 software has a problem over gunning the HDMI at 1080p. I get this using a Stick (so no cable) though my TV reacts a little differently. Just got to wait for a fix, and drop res till then.

Let us know if this works for you.

@RokuShaun, is this one on the radar of your dev team yet? I suspect many of the glitching threads popping up re. v7 devices are really the same issue. Might be a big problem.

Sure does sound like a similar problem. I have had, what I presume, is an HDCP problem with my stick since the v7 rollout, as well. Only affects the stick, and no other devices using the same HDMI port.
0 Kudos
DallasGG
Level 7

I updated 2 of my Roku 2 XS's to the 7.0 firmware. Both of them have experienced the same problem multiple times. The problem occurs when I haven't used my Roku 2 XS for awhile (several hours up to a day). When I try to use it after not using it for awhile, I hit the remote control one time to move over to one of my channels (which it does successfully) and then the remote control immediately freezes up and is non-responsive. The only solution to get my Roku back working again is to unplug it and plug it back in and let it reboot. This problem only started happening after I updated to the 7.0 firmware. The fact that it's happening on both of my Roku 2 XS's indicates to me that it's a software issue. This problem never happened before the firmware update. Please fix the software!
0 Kudos
oshia86
Level 7

Having constant lockups on mine. If I watch an episode of anything on Netflix I can guarantee that the unit will be unresponsive to the bt remote or the phone app before the show is over. The only way to get it back is to pull the power. I'm not too worried about it. I got two new Brand X units on the way to the house for Christmas.
0 Kudos