Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datamiser
Channel Surfer

480p display resolution option request for my Roku streaming stick

Is there a manual override to the 1080p or 720p display resolution options on my Roku Streaming Stick, such that would allow me to live stream at SD (480p) or lower resolution in order to conserve data usage on my Verizon 4G LTE jetpack?

(It is my understanding that throttling down (via Roku's manual override) of the Mbps speed ultimately must use the same amount of data to stream the desired content, whereas lowering streaming display resolutions to SD (480p) or lower is the most effective way to conserve data usage while using Roku with a wireless internet connection.)  

I suppose I am hoping Roku has a 'secret' access key to additional display resolution options - just like the available manual override to lower Mbps connection speed....  Thank you for a Roku technical support assist in this matter of a growing day by day concern as I near the edge of my new monthly Verizon data cap subscription.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: 480p display resolution option request for my Roku streaming stick

No, not for the device itself - you'd need to use any apps/services internal resolution/bandwidth controls (a la NetFlix or Disney+) to limit resolution/bandwidth usage.

Otherwise youd ideally want to use the modem/router/gateway's bandwidth metering/controls to limit ALL devices on your network.

0 Kudos