Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

4 hour limit affecting streaming stick recording

Having read all relevant posts, I see no real solution for the 4-hour limitation that is imposed on extended streaming.  There is no escaping the nag screen the prevents scheduling a DVD or VCR recording that is set to occur the next morning since the streaming stick will have timed out during the night due to no user intervention.

All the easy stuff has been tried, e.g., turning off the "Bandwith Saver" isn't the answer since the "Do you want to continue watching" nag still appears and grays out the video.

Any suggestions?  Do I have to build my own "Button Presser" device to defeat the nag timer?  I can do that but it seems like resorting to a kludge should be a last resort.

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

Re: 4 hour limit affecting streaming stick recording

None of that has anything to do with Roku. A lot of ISPs have data caps. Limiting the amount of time for Data Streaming prevents people from goinh over their data cap. If things weren’t implemented such as time limiting then people would complain that they exceeded their data caps. What particular channel are you speaking about? I know Hulu + Live TV auto stops streaming 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

In addition, content providers are probably also trying to reduce wasted bandwidth on their end.  The idea of making a thing to press a button so a VCR can record a stream reminds me of the technology in the movie Brazil.

0 Kudos
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

I have Charter Spectrum high speed cable (200 Mbps) which has no cap on bandwidth.  I am using the ROKU Streaming Stick 4k and recording while in the Spectrum app.  I will eventually have my way with, one way or the other.

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

@surferdude2  No ISP has a bandwidth limit. They have a data cap on how much you stream. I have Cox cable internet which has a 1.2TB data cap. I never go over it so it’s not an issue for me. You aren’t recording through your Roku. Your DVR recordings are stored in the cloud. Look inside the Spectrum app for a time limit or call Spectrum. Which Roku model do you have? Also is your Stick plugged into the wall or USB TV power?

0 Kudos
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

@OperatorD80

I suspect you are correct although there seems to be two different limiting features that affect how long unattended streaming is allowed.  One is the "Bandwidth Saver" which I have already disabled.  Once that is disabled, the other gremlin takes over and renders the nag screen that asks if I would like to "Keep Watching".  That requires a response or else it will continue to blur out the video.  Incidentally, there is also the screensaver that would be a problem but I have it disabled from the get go.

Given that the only response that will reset the time out sequence has to be made by pressing a key on the ROKA, I'm blaming them for allowing it.  No matter there.

I'll whip it one way or the other.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

@surferdude2  The keep watching feature is not part of Roku that is part of the Spectrum channel you are watching. Netflix and other services do this too. I don’t mean to look in the settings on your Roku I meant book within the settings of the Spectrum channel. i’ve stream several channels for 10 hours straight and I never get that message but it’s usually because I’m pausing it or turning the volume up or doing something. So your leaving Spectrum running for 4 hours and your not even watching it?  None of us are there with you so Kenny is there really explain exactly what is going on and maybe we can assist you. But if spectrum has a four hour time limit built into the channel or something you can do about that. Usually if you change the channel I turn the volume up and down some sort of remote control input you can keep on streaming all day long as long as you keep doing something with the remote

0 Kudos
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

@Strega

LOL... yeah, I can envision an operator arm attached under my mattress that is used to convey my tossing and turning energy to a button on the ROKU control.  I think I can do something a little more elegant than that, if need be.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

@surferdude2  So do you leave the TV on all night long while you’re sleeping?

0 Kudos
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

@OperatorD80

Yes, I do that... I mean I leave the ROKU streaming all night, or would like it to do so.  I get the ROKU streaming the correct channel and set the recorder to actuate at the desired time.  Then I turn off the TV and actuate the pre-programmed recorder. The desire is to record a live program that comes on in the morning (around 10 hours later) by setting the recorder to "Timed Record" the night before and entering the on and off times.  It's done on the line input of the recorder which uses the output signal of an HDMI to RCA component converter.  It all works well if the 4 hour limit isn't in the mix.

0 Kudos