Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

3.5mm RCA output on new Roku models besides 3710 and 3910

Jump to solution

OK, I had read a complaint on a YouTube aspect ratio issue question that Roku, Inc. can’t add a 3.5mm RCA output to newer Roku models that are not the 3710 or 3910, so I decided to post this question.

So anyway, why can’t Roku, Inc. add a 3.5mm RCA Composite audio/video output jack to newer Roku models that are not the 3710 or 3910? It literally takes away nothing, but adds the ability to connect the newer Roku models to older TV models without an HDMI input, which makes them better products. HDMI only is a very limiting, ridiculous audio/video connection that only connects to newer TV models.

Thanks for any responses!

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
5 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3.5mm RCA output on new Roku models besides 3710 and 3910

Jump to solution

@Michelle3 wrote:

OK, I had read a complaint on a YouTube aspect ratio issue question that Roku, Inc. can’t add a 3.5mm RCA output to newer Roku models that are not the 3710 or 3910, so I decided to post this question.

So anyway, why can’t Roku, Inc. add a 3.5mm RCA Composite audio/video output jack to newer Roku models that are not the 3710 or 3910? It literally takes away nothing, but adds the ability to connect the newer Roku models to older TV models without an HDMI input, which makes them better products. HDMI only is a very limiting, ridiculous audio/video connection that only connects to newer TV models.

~Jordan

I recall your previous posts.

You can request it, but I doubt very much that it will happen.  It's not just the cheap little jack that needs to be added, but the electronics to separate out the signals and create the composite and/or component video signal your set needs, plus software updates to manage all this and remap images coming in with a 16:9 image ratio to the 4:3 screen you are looking for.  This significantly increases the complexity of the software and introduces yet more variables that have to be tested against every tweak that is made to the software.

I fully expect that the analysts determined that it costs them more to put all this in, and maintain it, mostly for people that don't need or want it, than to not include it and lose a few sales.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

atc98092

Jump to solution

You have to remember that analog TVs are simply in the minority now, and with the upcoming change to ATSC 3.0 for broadcast TV, they are just obsolete. Since it's almost impossible to get a device with analog outputs any longer, it's really getting time to say goodbye to those old sets. I don't think I've had an analog TV in my home for over 10 years, and I'm not really an early adopter in that area. I am a techie, yes, but I let the TV world settle down a bit before I switched from my rear projection TV in the bedroom (which was still HD capable via DVI inputs). In fact, it might be more like 15 years. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

It might also be the film industry behind getting rid of analog outputs, so you can't make copies. You couldn't buy a Blu-ray player after 2009 with analog outputs. My Computer with a blu-ray player built-in, I can't use the VGA output when playing blu-ray movies only hdmi output. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.

atc98092

Jump to solution

Yep, you have to have a digital video connection with valid DHCP handshaking. Of course, you can always rip the Blu Ray disc and then there's not problem. I've done that with all my purchased media and just store the discs away. Watch them over my network via DLNA with a Roku, Shield or smart TV. 

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh boy ….. just me from literally almost two, like seriously, TWO years ago …….

Given that most products are made in China nowadays, it probably does not matter where the product is manufactured; only the quality control matters.

Most products that are still made today with analog ports are sold under generic / no-name brands.  One of the analog composite switchers I own is an MT-VIKI (formerly Maituo) manufactured no-name brand 8-port switcher, which appears to date back to either mid or late 2010s.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Michelle3 wrote:

~Jordan

You can request it, but I doubt very much that it will happen.  It's not just the cheap little jack that needs to be added, but the electronics to separate out the signals and create the composite and/or component video signal your set needs, plus software updates to manage all this and remap images coming in with a 16:9 image ratio to the 4:3 screen you are looking for.  This significantly increases the complexity of the software and introduces yet more variables that have to be tested against every tweak that is made to the software.

I fully expect that the analysts determined that it costs them more to put all this in, and maintain it, mostly for people that don't need or want it, than to not include it and lose a few sales.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:

@Michelle3 wrote:

~Jordan

I think that the electronics to separate out the digital or analogue video signals would’ve made the newer Roku models better products too. I’m not 100% sure, though.

It’s a shame that unfortunately, not all HDMI to non-HDMI converter adapter models that have compatibility with Roku models with only an HDMI output and not also RCA do aspect ratio correction in order to avoid the vertical aspect ratio distortion for the older TV models with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Since the converters’ inputs (NOT the outputs since the output’s resolution is only an SD (Standard definition) one (480i for NTSC TVs or 576i for PAL TVs)) can only be set to “720p TV” or “1080p TV” via Settings > Display type, correcting the vertically distorted aspect ratio will probably require setting the Roku models to “4:3 standard” if there is “Select all resolutions” on the Platform Secret Screen menu.

As @atc98092 stated to one of my posts in another question, which is called “Picture aspect ratio.”, the reason why the 16:9 aspect ratio images coming sourced from HDMI only Roku models are being distorted vertically, making them appear tall, skinny and unwatchable, by the converter adapter models, to fill 4:3 TV models is because using them can be problematic solutions, if wanting to connect sources with only HDMI output and 16:9 setting to TV models with only RCA input and 4:3 CRT, but no 16:9 letterboxer function, which might also be a reason why using Roku probably doesn’t support using them.

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

You have to remember that analog TVs are simply in the minority now, and with the upcoming change to ATSC 3.0 for broadcast TV, they are just obsolete. Since it's almost impossible to get a device with analog outputs any longer, it's really getting time to say goodbye to those old sets. I don't think I've had an analog TV in my home for over 10 years, and I'm not really an early adopter in that area. I am a techie, yes, but I let the TV world settle down a bit before I switched from my rear projection TV in the bedroom (which was still HD capable via DVI inputs). In fact, it might be more like 15 years. 

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

I can’t understand why it is getting time to say “Goodbye” to analogue TV models, and “Hello” to digital TV models, but as I can see on the market, there are most, if not all, digital TV models that are manufactured in China, unfortunately. I don’t remember where else some of them are manufactured in instead of China.

If the Roku Express+ 3710 and 3910 become obsolete streaming player models in the future just like the older Roku models, especially the models with a Y/Pb/Pr output besides RCA and HDMI, are, not only does that make finding any other streaming players with analog outputs any longer definitely impossible, they will be slow and unusable, and we’ll have better luck only using the analogue TV models for retro video gaming while television streaming is used on digital TV models. A few retro video gaming systems that you can use on older TV models include the Commodore 64, the Nintendo Entertainment System, along with the Super version, the Atari, the Sega Genesis, the Sega Saturn and the Nintendo 64.

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

It might also be the film industry behind getting rid of analog outputs, so you can't make copies. You couldn't buy a Blu-ray player after 2009 with analog outputs. My Computer with a blu-ray player built-in, I can't use the VGA output when playing blu-ray movies only hdmi output. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yep, you have to have a digital video connection with valid DHCP handshaking. Of course, you can always rip the Blu Ray disc and then there's not problem. I've done that with all my purchased media and just store the discs away. Watch them over my network via DLNA with a Roku, Shield or smart TV. 

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Well, that’s weird how you couldn’t purchase anymore Blu-ray players that support analog outputs after the same year that NTSC analog TV broadcasting went upgraded to ATSC digital. I have a very, very old Samsung Blu-ray player model that my family has had a while before switching to Apple TV, then Amazon Fire TV, because the Hulu app, which was on it a few years before appearing unsupported along with some other apps, which can be viewed via Samsung Smart Hub, including NetFlix, seemed to stop always working properly, and it supports the analog RCA output jacks. They are Yellow for Composite video, White for left analog audio and Red for right analog audio. The resolution of those audio/video outputs is only 480i for NTSC, so that HD (High definition) quality isn’t really expected, it’s only expected in the digital audio/video outputs.

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@_Rebecca wrote:

i dont think that would happen

Why do you not think that would happen?

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh boy ….. just me from literally almost two, like seriously, TWO years ago …….

Given that most products are made in China nowadays, it probably does not matter where the product is manufactured; only the quality control matters.

Most products that are still made today with analog ports are sold under generic / no-name brands.  One of the analog composite switchers I own is an MT-VIKI (formerly Maituo) manufactured no-name brand 8-port switcher, which appears to date back to either mid or late 2010s.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos