Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlanG99

Re: 2020 Roku Ultra - Dolby Atmos is DECODED in the Ultra, not passed-through

I was having a an issue with my audio cutting out randomly on Netflix Atmos content.  Roku support had me deleting apps and reinstalling which did nothing.  I read your post and decided to change the audio setting from auto detect to passthrough and it fixed the audio cutting out problem.  Not sure why Roku support could not tell me that from the beginning.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
AlanG99

I was having a an issue with my audio cutting out randomly on Netflix Atmos content.  Roku support had me deleting apps and reinstalling which did nothing.  I read your post and decided to change the audio setting from auto detect to passthrough and it fixed the audio cutting out problem.  Not sure why Roku support could not tell me that from the beginning.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
Goodfellas27
Reel Rookie

That also happened to a friend with an AMV60 processor. It looks like the audio doesn't lock-in with some processors.  

0 Kudos
thirumala72
Reel Rookie

Mine is Roku Ultra 2020 and I have set mine to Auto Passthrough which is supposed to play audio based on the input signal. What I observed is after playing atmos content, if I play non-atmos like 5.1, Roku is still upscaling to atmos like Auto setting. I have to manually go to my Denon remote, press Movie sound mode and change to dolby digital which plays in 5.1. But when atmos content is played after playing 5.1, Roku plays atmos content in 5.1 only which is the last played setting. Now again I have to press movie sound mode in Denon remote and select atmos to get atmos sound. 

But when I play the same thru Apple TV 4K, everything is perfect in automatic sound setting change without manual intervention.

Can someone please suggest what is wrong with my settings for Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos
drnotime
Binge Watcher

Try changing audio settings to different ones and see if it helps.  I have mine set to Auto Passthrough with no issues switching to the correct source.  On my old Ultra I had an issue, only on the Disney+ app, to where it would get stuck in Atmos. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@krazyankee321 wrote:

Since the spec on the 4800 only shows HDMI 2.0b, I assume that it will only pass Dolby Atmos in a compressed form (Dolby Digital +) to an AVR?

I believe that HDMI 2.1 is required in order to pass lossless Dolby Atmos to an AVR.  Has anyone tried this yet?  

Lossless Dolby or DTS can be passed via HDMI 1.4, maybe even 1.3. HDMI 2.1 is not required. As of the current build, the 4800 will not bitstream Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) nor DTS Master Audio/DTS:X. For that media, I use an Nvidia Shield. 

The biggest change with HDMI 2.1 is support for eARC, which allows lossless audio via ARC.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dwcoleman01
Reel Rookie

I just set my ROKU ultra to pass-through to my Yamaha ATMOS receiver and it works just fine.

thirumala72
Reel Rookie

I have played with all options and mine is a Denon AVR X4400H model. Whether the setting is passthrough or auto, audio is not changing according to the input signal. 

0 Kudos
magnav65

Roku 2020 Ultra
Yamaha RX-V683
LG OLED C8
All HDCP 2.2 Dolby Vision confirmed

I too have the audio won't pass ATMOS when the Ultra is set to Auto Passthrough. The receiver, regardless of ATMOS content from Netflix or Disney+, will only show DD+. However, if I change the Ultra's Audio to 'auto detect', the receiver lights up ATMOS, so it's clear that the Ultra can send ATMOS even though it's upscaling the audio.

If I then use the exact same content on both Netflix and Disney+ using my Apple TV 4K, the receiver lights up ATMOS as expected.

Something sure seems wrong with how the Ultra is passing ATMOS content to my receiver.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku Ultra 4800
Yamaha RX-V583
LG NANO85

My audio is set to auto passthough. Watching Disney+, I get Dolby Vision and Atmos without an issue. I checked Netflix with the same result. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos