Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpaskell
Level 7

2020 ROKU Ulta with Samsung tv

I have a Samsung 2020 model 4K tv. It does not have Dolby Vision. Will the ROKU Ultimate allow me to view Dolby Vision and will my tv support it?

I have 2.0/2.2 high speed cable and a surround reciever that supports 4K.

I just want to insure I'll get the Dolby Vision  before purchasing a ROKU Ultimate.  I'm  currently using ROKU Premier.

Thanks to all,

Jim padkell

0 Kudos
4 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: 2020 ROKU Ultimate with Samsung tv

I have an Ultra and have not looked back.

There are many options for Audio which work.

you should talk to @atc98092 he's in touch with this stuff

and will come along..

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
atc98092
Level 21

Re: 2020 ROKU Ultra with Samsung tv

@jpaskell wrote:

I have a Samsung 2020 model 4K tv. It does not have Dolby Vision. Will the ROKU Ultimate allow me to view Dolby Vision and will my tv support it?

I have 2.0/2.2 high speed cable and a surround receiver that supports 4K.

I just want to insure I'll get the Dolby Vision  before purchasing a ROKU Ultimate.  I'm  currently using ROKU Premier.

Thanks to all,

Jim padkell

You have to make sure your AVR supports DV. I just bought an LG NANO85, which supports DV, and I have the 2019 Nvidia Shield, which also supports it. But the Yamaha AVR I have will not pass DV or HLG, so HDR10 is all I can get. Just having a 4K capable AVR isn't enough. 

However, there is no way to get Dolby Vision on a display that doesn't support it. So with a Samsung TV, you can buy any device you like but you'll never get DV. Samsung is in the HLG/HDR10+ camp, not DV.

While the Roku Ultra (it's not named Ultimate) has some improvements over your Premiere, and it does offer DV support, you won't get anything but standard HDR10 on your Samsung TV. If your AVR supports it, you can get HLG, but no streaming service uses HLG at this time. I have a couple of demo clips with HLG, and it looks really nice, but there's no real content with it as of yet. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ToddL
Level 7

@atc98092 wrote:

@jpaskell wrote:

If your AVR supports it, you can get HLG, but no streaming service uses HLG at this time. I have a couple of demo clips with HLG, and it looks really nice, but there's no real content with it as of yet. 

fuboTV has HLG on Fox 4K and FS1 4K channels. The HLG looks great using my Roku Premiere, but unfortunately it doesn't look right with the Roku Ultra 2020 (looks like SDR even though my TV detects HLG).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@ToddL wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

If your AVR supports it, you can get HLG, but no streaming service uses HLG at this time. I have a couple of demo clips with HLG, and it looks really nice, but there's no real content with it as of yet. 

fuboTV has HLG on Fox 4K and FS1 4K channels. The HLG looks great using my Roku Premiere, but unfortunately it doesn't look right with the Roku Ultra 2020 (looks like SDR even though my TV detects HLG).

Good to know that they're beginning to use HLG. My AVR that my Ultra 4640 connects to doesn't pass HLG, so I can only see it using the TV's player app. Definitely looks good with the few demos I've seen.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos