Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rokmhe
Level 7

2017 Roku Ultra: 4660 or 4660R?

Some seller sites show the new Ultra with model number 4660, others 4660R, and yet others 4660RW.  Are they different, and if yes, what are the differences?
Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: 2017 Roku Ultra: 4660 or 4660R?

"rokmhe" wrote:
Some seller sites show the new Ultra with model number 4660, others 4660R, and yet others 4660RW.  Are they different, and if yes, what are the differences?
Thanks.

No. The letter suffix on Roku model numbers refers to a distribution channel only.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

4660RW (Walmart), the remote 4th quick button is VUDU
4660R the remote 4th quick button is HBOnow

The first 3 quick buttons are the same for both, Netflix, Sling, and Hulu
0 Kudos
rokmhe
Level 7

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"mike1597" wrote:
4660RW (Walmart), the remote 4th quick button is VUDU
4660R the remote 4th quick button is HBOnow

The first 3 quick buttons are the same for both, Netflix, Sling, and Hulu

Remotes are interchangeable, regardless of the buttons. And, the buttons will change from time to time depending on when and where you purchase the device. You can purchase a spare remote from the Roku Accessory Store and get whatever they're putting on them that day. Or, grab an old IR remote with no buttons, or with Blockbuster, M-GO, or whatever they were pushing that day, and it'll function just fine.
But the 4660 is a 4660 regardless of any letter suffix.
None of what I'm saying is to indicate your answer is incorrect. In fact, it is useful to know what buttons come with the various remotes at any given time. I'm just wanting OP to be aware that the actual devices with model number 4660 are the same boxes.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

Is there a list somewhere of how the quick access buttons for the Ultra remote vary depending on the vendor?

Thanks.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

I bought a new Roku Ultra at Wal-Mart on Friday and set it up that day.  I'm very pleased with it.  It replaces a last generation Roku 3, which has been moved to a secondary TV.  The improvement in speed is quite noticeable.  But having one remote to rule them all is the best.  My new remote is my precious.... Smiley Wink
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
kemajor
Level 7

I ordered a 4660 from Wal-Mart because I wanted a Vudu button since Vudu is my most used channel.  I was very disappointed to open the package today and see that I received a 4660R and not an RW so I have an HBONow button where I really wanted Vudu. Ugh!  I thought all of the Wal-Mart Roku's had the Vudu button which is why I ordered one from Wal-Mart at all.  Normally I order all of my electronics from another vendor, as it turned out setting up the Wal-Mart account and ordering from them was a total waste of my time.  I really wish I had read this thread before ordering because I just went and looked at the Wal-Mart site and it specifies the 4660R not the RW. 

Very frustrating. - KEM
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"kemajor" wrote:
I ordered a 4660 from Wal-Mart because I wanted a Vudu button since Vudu is my most used channel.  I was very disappointed to open the package today and see that I received a 4660R and not an RW so I have an HBONow button where I really wanted Vudu. Ugh!  I thought all of the Wal-Mart Roku's had the Vudu button which is why I ordered one from Wal-Mart at all.  Normally I order all of my electronics from another vendor, as it turned out setting up the Wal-Mart account and ordering from them was a total waste of my time.  I really wish I had read this thread before ordering because I just went and looked at the Wal-Mart site and it specifies the 4660R not the RW. 

Very frustrating. - KEM

Just because you were on Walmart's website doesn't mean you were buying from Walmart.. like Amazon, it's a marketplace, and.you have to make sure that if you're on Walmart's site that that's who you're actually ordering from.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
kemajor
Level 7

I was using the Wal-Mart app on my iPad, I guess I just assumed I was doing business with Wal-Mart.  The package label certainly said it was from Wal-Mart. Regardless, that is good to know and I will watch out for that more carefully in the future.  I'm thinking about just sending my wife to the local Wal-Mart go buy one there and just giving this one away for Christmas.  Like I said it is just very frustrating that I thought I went through the trouble of ordering it from Wal-Mart to get that one benefit and I've ended up without it.  The other thing I thought would be nice was to control my volume from the remote but it turns out it won't work because I need to control the volume of my receiver not my TV and it does not support that, at least not for my $5000 Denon receiver.  I have no interest in the voice search so as it stands now I was better off with my 2016 Roku Ultra. Sigh.

- KEM
0 Kudos