Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tenbucks
Level 7

2017 Roku Streaming Stick (3800) only able to hold about a dozen channels at a time before downloading them on demand?

Ever since I got a Roku Streaming Stick (3800) it sometimes downloads installed channels on demand. If I have a dozen channels and open them all one by one, channel 11 and 12 will have to redownload. This is approximate and may vary due to the size of the channels. I presume this was normal because of the limited storage size as my Roku 4 never did it.

Just want to confirm that this is normal behaviour so I can tell that little voice in my head telling me to it might not be normal to chill.

Thanks

EDIT 2/18/19 - I've confirmed that it is what I thought and has to do which the smaller storage capacity because a 2nd stick I acquired does the same.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: 2017 Roku Streaming Stick (3800) only able to hold about a dozen channels at a time before downloading them on deman

"tenbucks" wrote:
Ever since I got a Roku Streaming Stick (3800) it sometimes downloads installed channels on demand. If I have a dozen channels and open them all one by one, channel 11 and 12 will have to redownload. This is approximate and may vary due to the size of the channels. I always presume this was normal because of the limited storage size as my Roku 4 never did it.

Just want to confirm that this is normal behaviour so I can tell that little voice in my head telling me to it might not be normal to chill.

Thanks

The Roku 4 had twice the channel storage the Stick/3800 has. Factor that into the information you have.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
tenbucks
Level 7

Re: 2017 Roku Streaming Stick (3800) only able to hold about a dozen channels at a time before downloading them on deman

Completely aware of that but it does not answer the question so it's not helpful.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

DBDukes did answer the question. We have no idea how much memory each channel takes, so it's certainly possible that a dozen is all it can hold before unloading and reloading newly selected channels. Is this normal behavior when you've reached your channel memory limit? Yes it is. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tenbucks
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
DBDukes did answer the question. We have no idea how much memory each channel takes, so it's certainly possible that a dozen is all it can hold before unloading and reloading newly selected channels. Is this normal behavior when you've reached your channel memory limit? Yes it is. 

Telling me what I had already stated was likely the reason is most definitely not answering the question I posed. It's just restarting my statement. I asked for CONFIRMATION. Confirmation can come in at least 2 forms; someone having the same model and seeing the same behaviour or an official response. Hopefully, this is helpful to you in future forum dealings.
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

"tenbucks" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Telling me what I had already stated was likely the reason is most definitely not answering the question I posed. It's just restarting my statement. I asked for CONFIRMATION. Confirmation can come in at least 2 forms; someone having the same model and seeing the same behaviour or an official response. Hopefully, this is helpful to you in future forum dealings.

Is it worth making that point? Doesn't it make you look like someone who doesn't want replies to their post? It isn't conducive to help when you behave this way when help is offered. Even if the help isn't exactly what you wanted it is still a person just as you are. To use uppercase and act demeaning when people help you illustrates why you have no replies that satisfy you and why you may never get them. The answer is right there in front of you. Accept it no confirmation required.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Roku

Perhaps knowing the internals of each device may help you with your question. Waiting for others to chime in obviously isn't what you want. You want to be right. Knowing others are people too may help you in future forum dealings.
0 Kudos