Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyCalling
Level 7

1st May update coming today... what time?

Looking forward to this announced 1st May update, especially as it is set to bring Enhanced Voice Search to the UK (here's hoping it'll be enhanced to actually search the main streaming services which the basic version on the Streaming Stick+ fails to do, making it no more than a demo of what could be).

So at what time do these things usually drop? I've not paid attention before as no big features have been rolled out like this (except new channels). Anyone else noticed?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: 1st May update coming today... what time?

Did Roku say today? The blog post I read said "soon" and that "Roku OS 8.1 will begin to roll out through a software update beginning on May 1."

"Beginning on May 1" doesn't mean you will get it today. You may get it today. Or, you may get it at the end of the month. Or even later, if issues arise. I have received updates the first day of a major rollout, and sometimes not until a month down the line. And sometimes somewhere in between.

https://blog.roku.com/roku-to-soon-launch-enhanced-voice-search-in-uk
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 7

Oh I shouldn't think the UK roll out will take very long. We're only small. Also, the voice chat stuff (the major feature of the update) has all been tested in the US so not much chance of major issue. I certainly seem to get updates on the same day people start reporting them on forums (we don't usually get a heads up from Roku of course) so I will be surprised if it doesn't come through today. Especially as this is the first time I am aware of that Roku have given a date at all. I doubt they've done that with an expectation that they will need to disappoint customers and whilst they have allowed for slippage in their statements, they know as well as anyone that what sticks in the head of the customer is that date. Without a specific reason for a delay, I doubt they are planning one.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

No one ever expects to disappoint. However, there have been issues that have cropped up after a rollout began. They've even pulled an update, delaying it a couple of months after serious issues arose in rollout that weren't caught in testing.

They never plan delays, but they happen. They roll out slowly as to not impact everyone at once. While the UK consumer base may be smaller than that in the US, they'll still roll it out in phases as to not impact a whole nation at once. The window may be smaller, but it won't be "Look what everybody suddenly has" kind of thing.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
No one ever expects to disappoint. However, there have been issues that have cropped up after a rollout began. They've even pulled an update, delaying it a couple of months after serious issues arose in rollout that weren't caught in testing.

They never plan delays, but they happen. They roll out slowly as to not impact everyone at once. While the UK consumer base may be smaller than that in the US, they'll still roll it out in phases as to not impact a whole nation at once. The window may be smaller, but it won't be "Look what everybody suddenly has" kind of thing.

Yep, things can go wrong. That's why Roku never announce dates of these things. This time they have though, and they do know how people will take it considering their usual and pretty sensible policy. So, whilst it may not happen today, I believe it is hoped to be a swift one by Roku. I wouldn't be surprised if they start rolling out before the day is up and finish in, say, 48h. Unless something knocks things back of course but with the main additional feature by far being one that has been going for a fair while already in the US I'm hoping the odds will be good.

I liked your use of the phrase 'whole nation', it made me smile. Sounds big, but it really isn't in this case. You can be sure that the Roku-owning segment of the UK is really not very large (Sky users aside, because they use different firmware and they are an abysmal corruption of Roku hardware, they are not Roku boxes) because of the tiny attempt made by Roku to get any product on shelves and the complete abandonment of the market and their small customer base to the competition for a good number of the key streaming growth years. I know for sure there are two of us left, but it's been a fair while since I've seen any others. It was better years ago, but these days I only see those Fire Sticks and the horrid Sky things. Here's hoping Roku mean it this time. If people see that then they may come back, but Roku can expect tentative sales for some time yet.
0 Kudos