Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackdashack
Level 8

1 of the first ever Roku's just died. I need a replacement for this older smart TV

Jump to solution

My TV's are old as compared to today. They are both smart TV's with HDMI and USB ports, etc. But some of the 1st that were about 10+ years old. My 1st Roku, one of the 1st offered just died. I need one that will replace it and work on these older smart TV's. I have a concern I'll purchase something that is too highly advanced for these TV's and will no be compatible.  The 2nd Roku still working is the old Roku 2. Can you help me know which ones are available for these older TV's? Possibly one or two suggestions? I'd like to keep the price down, just a basic Roku will do.

Thanks very much. jack ":-Dx

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
boogernose
Level 10

Re: 1 of the first ever Roku's just died. I need a replacement for this older smart TV

Jump to solution

Well you probably have HDMI ports. I think you should probably get a low end Express or Premiere since theyre the same price.

Save your receipt and see how it works for you...

https://www.roku.com/products/players

You can get used ones on E-Bay but ts buyer beware.

View solution in original post

atc98092
Level 15

Re: 1 of the first ever Roku's just died. I need a replacement for this older smart TV

Jump to solution

@jackdashack wrote:

I should have asked this right off. This defunct one has a place for micro SD. How come my newer Roku 2 and even newer do no have ports for added storage or buffer or whatever they do. I can make this a new question if you prefer. Thanks!

The SD card has only one function: as storage space for installed channels. It doesn't mean you can install more, just that you have more channels with the required code already downloaded on the Roku, so it can start faster. When you run out of storage space, it offloads the least used channel to store more recently used ones. But the offloaded ones still work, it just takes a few extra seconds to download the code again. It has no ability to buffer or provide any benefit to actual playback. 

The Ultra is the only current model with an SD slot. But I've never used it on mine. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

4 Replies
boogernose
Level 10

Jump to solution

Well you probably have HDMI ports. I think you should probably get a low end Express or Premiere since theyre the same price.

jackdashack
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you B.Nose. That's the ticket, the info I needed. Have a great week.  J. DaShack   ":-Dx

@boogernose wrote:

jackdashack
Level 8

Jump to solution

I should have asked this right off. This defunct one has a place for micro SD. How come my newer Roku 2 and even newer do no have ports for added storage or buffer or whatever they do. I can make this a new question if you prefer. Thanks!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@jackdashack wrote:

The SD card has only one function: as storage space for installed channels. It doesn't mean you can install more, just that you have more channels with the required code already downloaded on the Roku, so it can start faster. When you run out of storage space, it offloads the least used channel to store more recently used ones. But the offloaded ones still work, it just takes a few extra seconds to download the code again. It has no ability to buffer or provide any benefit to actual playback. 

The Ultra is the only current model with an SD slot. But I've never used it on mine. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.