Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

1 Touch Play (CEC) with Onkyo TX-NR515 not working

I recently got a Roku Ultra which replaced an older Amazon Fire Stick. I plugged the Roku into the same HDMI port that the Fire Stick used to be on. I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver.

The old Fire Stick supported HDMI CEC so if you pressed a button on the remote, the receiver would automatically switch to that input. That was working fine. When I started using the Roku I found that this feature does not work on the Roku. Roku calls this feature 1 Touch Play and I verified that it is turned on in the Roku settings. But it just doesn't work. I press a button on the Roku and the input does not switch.

The Roku volume control does work though. When I press the volume up or down on the Roku remote, the receiver volume also changes as I would expect. So some HDMI controls work, it is just the input switching that doesn't work.

I also have a Tivo that supports the input switching feature. It works fine on the receiver. I even plugged the Tivo into the HDMI port that I usually use for the Roku and the input switching worked great. So it seems that my Onkyo is correctly setup since it has worked for two other devices. The issue must be with the Roku.

Is there anyway I can get this to work? It is a small feature, but now that it is not working I really miss it when I have to get out the Onkyo remote and manually switch inputs everytime.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: 1 Touch Play (CEC) with Onkyo TX-NR515 not working

@AluminumRobot  Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing here. Is your device connected directly to your receiver, or the TV? You might try connecting it to your TV, then connecting the TV to the receiver via HDMI ARC (with HDMI CEC features enabled) and see if this allows the function to work the way you are hoping. Different implementations of CEC and brands may not always be compatible with these features, so sometimes it worth trying different configurations to see what may produce the best results. 

I've shared your example and feedback with our team, and will keep you posted if I hear any further updates around this. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I tried your suggestion and plugged the Roku directly into the TV. When I do that the 1 Touch Play does work. If I hit a button on the Roku remote it will then switch the TV and receiver to the correct inputs.

The problem with this is that my Sharp TV doesn't seem to pass 5.1 audio through ARC. It will only do stereo with ARC. So at the moment I can only have 1 Touch Play or 5.1, but not both at the same time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@AluminumRobot As long as your TV supports ARC on the HDMI port that connects the TV to your receiver, it should work to pass stereo or Dolby audio formats. Double check that all available settings are set to 'Auto/Auto-detect' in Settings>Audio. Then, while playing content in a streaming channel, press the *key on your remote, and look for the 'Volume Mode' option. Make sure this is turned off. Volume Modes are limited to stereo audio. 

Let us know if that helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@RokuTannerD 

I've been having this problem since I updated the firmware on my Roku Ultra (4660X - S/W 9.2.0 Build 4807-46) after the fix to the locked up HDMI signal when it went into screensaver mode.

I'm sure you recall the problem with boxes locking up and non-responsive (had to unplug to reboot) and the fix was to factory wipe the device and reconfigure.  That fixed the locked up Roku but no longer can I use the Home button (or any button on the roku remote) to HDMI CEC input to my Roku Player. 

My setup includes the following relevant devices:

• Onkyo TX-RZ830 with latest Firmware
  • Tivo Roamio Pro with latest UI to support HDMI CEC
  • Samsung QN65Q8FN
  • Roku Ultra (4660X - S/W 9.2.0 Build 4807-46)

I DO have the 1-Touch Enabled and I DO have HDMI Control on the Onkyo Receiver enabled.

I do have an HDMI Arc cable connected to the HDMI Arc port on the Samsung TV although I have all my audio coming out of the receiver and not the TV.

The following HDMI devices automatically switch to the correct input when pressed:

• Amazon FireStick 4K Switches - 2019
  • Apple TV HD
  • Tivo Roamio Pro
  • Sony Playstation 3
  • Samsung UBD-M8500 BluRay Player
  • Samsung QN65Q8FN
  • SideClick remote - Attached to Roku Remote DOES switch inputs. 

Roku Ultra (4660X - S/W 9.2.0 Build 4807-46) - NO. Home Button or any other button on the Roku remote will switch the HDMI input on my Onkyo to the Roku Ultra.

@RokuTannerD  So tell me this isn't a Roku HDMI problem because it DID WORK BEFORE the update??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@RokuTannerD  Just noticed the other day, the HDMI CEC is working again on my Roku.  So how would that happen if the firmware appears to be the same as when I submitted my issue when nothing has changed in my setup. No power outtages. No firmware updates on any of my device either.

I can now pretty much touch any button on my Roku remote and it switches to the Roku from any other HDMI port.

Thanks for......automagically fixing it.....for now?

0 Kudos