Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKevin
Visitor

v2.8 HLS Aspect ratio problems

We're aware that we have issues detecting the correct aspect ratio in v2.8 HLS content. We've fixed some of these issues and will be rolling out the patch over the next week (build 1158).

However, we're also aware that there is some content that this patch does not fix. We'd like to gather a more comprehensive list of good test content that exhibits any HLS aspect ratio issues in v2.8. Please post links here and will add them to our test suite as we work towards another fix.

Thanks for your help and patience.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
JC77
Visitor

Re: v2.8 HLS Aspect ratio problems

I have a few files locally. They're 200+ MB files, though (approx. 30 minutes of video). Would it be ok to upload to a hosting site and post the links here?

Would you want both the original file (which are AVI files that don't work in Roku), and the converted MP4 files that have aspect ratio problems? Or just the files that have the problem?
0 Kudos
mkiker2089
Visitor

Flixster channel > coming soon > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-Part 1 trailer

Using Medifly > Gametrailers.com videos are squished, specifically Rock Band 3 Review
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
0 Kudos
mkiker2089
Visitor

I just got the update to 1158. It fixed the Harry Potter video but not the Mediafly one.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

As someone in the general forum mentioned, files encoded with HandBrake using the default ffmpeg mp4 codec appear squished. Files encoded with the x264 codec do not. I guess this begs the question, are the files with the ffmpeg mp4 codec supported?

Here's two relatively small (3 MB) files that can be downloaded that illustrate the problem:
mp4
x264

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JC77
Visitor

Still having aspect ratio issues with the new update as well.

Same situation. All locally streamed videos that played fine before 2.8 are effected.

Edit: Thanks Jim for posting the examples. I would have posted something, but I don't have any small files to use as an example. 😞
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

JC77, it was you that figured it out, wasn't it? I couldn't find the post when I quickly looked again. Sorry I didn't give you the credit!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JC77
Visitor

I did post something about that today. No biggie. I was just experimenting with the Handbrake settings. Guess it was kinda dumb luck on my part. lol
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

Here's another set of test videos (created with Handbrake). They are two versions of the same video; all encoding settings are identical except for the video codec. I have today's update (2.8 b1158) installed. The MPEG-4 is squished when played on MyMedia, but the H.264 video plays just fine.

H.264 (18.1MB)
MPEG-4 (10.2MB)
0 Kudos
em_lazardo
Visitor

Update: Posted in the wrong topic, not HLS.

I downloaded the samples posted by renojim and canaws today and got the same results (x264 had the correct display aspect, ffmpeg were squashed) using this playback chain:
linux -> mp4 -> mongoose -> roksbox -> Roku(720p, b1158) -> HDMI -> Vizio 1920x1080@720p

All 88 of my transcodes were done with handbrake v0.9.4 using ffmpeg v0.6 as it is several times faster than x264 on SMP hardware. They are a mix of yuv420p (movie and TV series DVD library) at 29.97/23.98fps, ac3/aac (most 2 ch stereo), 720x400 [PAR 1:1 DAR 9:5] and 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3].

Since 2.8, not one displays correctly. Note the squash effect can be visually simulated by opening the mp4 in vlc and selecting
Video -> Aspect Ratio -> 1:1
which may point at how 2.8 interprets 1:1 pixel aspect ratio source (compared to 2.7).

Cheers,
0 Kudos