Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkerman
Visitor

using the GetVolumeList()

How can you find the available USB drives available using the GetVolumeList()?
I noticed some flash drives need a path using "ext1" and some use "ext2". I think this depends on how the USB drive is formatted. I want to make sure I have the right URL path before I start playing the video on the USB drive.
Thanks
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: using the GetVolumeList()

So use GetVolumeList(), don't guess. Just exclude the usual suspects (common:, pkg:, tmp:) and whatever remains is external drive. Btw, i suspect with a USB hub more than 1 devices can be connected so you may get both ext1 and ext2 simultaneously
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

How do you use the GetVolumeList()?
I understand it's an object containing a list of available USB drives. How would I go about using brightscript to achieve this? I understand other languages such as PHP, but I'm having a hard time finding examples for brightscript. I've gone through the SDK examples but would like to find a simple "bare bones" example.
If I use a MAC OS Extended (Journaled) USB drive, I need to use ext2 but if the USB is formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) it only works using ext1. I wonder why that is...
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

BrightScript is a dialect of BASIC (like Visual Basic is). Learn it. Is not worse than PHP.

Something like this should do:
fs = createObject("roFileSystem")
usb_drive = invalid
for each vol in fs.getVolumeList():
if left(vol, 3) = "ext" then usb_drive = vol
end for
sparkerman
Visitor

Thanks!
These simple bare bones examples is what I was looking for. I would have never thought of creating an roFileSystem first. Everything else make complete sense.
Thanks again for your help.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Bookmark this: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... umentation
Then read it "all", and do searches there
A quick search for getvolumelist returns link to ifFileSystem page: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifFileSystem
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

While this method failed for me it did get me to think on it more and what I didnt realize for some reason is that it needs to be done in a task component. 

So for anyone wondering how to access the usb or volumes available in general.

Create a task and call it from your scene, group or custom component with Brightscript.

m.volumeTask = m.top.FindNode("volumeList") ' to stop the task after it returns the data
m.volumeTask.control = "RUN"

Add the node to stop the task.

<volumeReader
id="volumeList"
control="STOP" />

And the for the task node itself...

sub init()
m.top.functionName = "getvolume"
end sub

sub getvolume()
fs = createObject("roFileSystem")
print fs.getVolumeList()
end sub

This in turn will return your roList as documented.

<Component: roList> =
(
    "cachefs:"
    "common:"
    "ext1:"
    "ext2:"
    "pkg:"
    "tmp:"
)

Maybe this help some people who had a misunderstanding such as myself.

0 Kudos