Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucasgonze
Visitor

upload failing

My Roku has suddenly started failing in the course of uploading a zip file.

1) Zip up executable code for a test run.
2) Upload the zip file using the form hosted by the Roku, either in the browser or via curl at the command line.
3) Wait, wait, wait
4) Eventually the connection times out. The browser error message is "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." The curl error message is "curl: (56) Failure when receiving data from the peer"

Has anybody else seen the issue?

I have rebooted without fixing the issue. I have also tried against executable zips that used to work.

This is version 2.6, build 687, model N1100.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
lucasgonze
Visitor

Re: upload failing

Two other fixes I have tried without success:

- Reset my device to factory settings, then reenabled the package utility following the steps in the "The Channel Packaging and Publishing Guide."

- Deleted all channels on my device.
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

Another fix I have tried without success: uploading zips from the example apps in the sdk.

This rules out issues with my code or packaging process.
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

Could it be a failure in solid state memory?
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"lucasgonze" wrote:
The browser error message is "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." The curl error message is "curl: (56) Failure when receiving data from the peer"

Googling seems to indicate this is a Firefox error, not a problem with the source of the connection. Suggestions mention disabling all extensions and/or using Firefox in safe mode. There's some indications it may be caused by malfunctioning anti-virus/firewall programs. If switching to a different browser helps, it's probably FF (or whatever browser you are using) specific, if not, it's probably something a bit deeper, in which case I suggest first restarting any AV programs you have installed, and if that doesn't help, try restarting the computer entirely (in case there's components that are not starting correctly).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

Thanks for the idea, kbenson.

It also occurs when I use curl instead of FF, which suggests it's probably not FF itself. On the other hand it might be something about the user agent that curl and FF have in common, so I'll give a try in Safari and Chrome.
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

I have now tested in Safari and Chrome. No change.

One thing I have learned is that the upload goes all the way, it's the response from the Roku that never happens. It appears that the error is in installing the upload, which would be a software error.

I have ordered a new Roku on overnight delivery to test the assumption that it's a hardware issue.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

How large is your zip file?
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

Thanks for the input, Patrick. I have tested against the zip files in the SDK and found that none of them work, which means the cause of this problem cannot be in my program. That said, my zip file is 185k.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Did you ever check for any anti-virus software that might be getting in the way? If it sounds unlikely, believe me, it's not. AV programs have long installed service proxies/filters and firewalls, which when there's a problem, cause no small amount of havoc.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos