Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpjamloki
Visitor

reduce Opacity in roScreen in case of Legacy device

How to reduce Opacity of image in roScreen in case of Legacy Device( version 3.0).?

Is there any way to reduce opacity of an image in roscreen in case of legacy device?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
cpjamloki
Visitor

Re: reduce Opacity in roScreen in case of Legacy device

please please reply . any reply would be helpful for me.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

You can't. Legacy devices don't support alpha for any of the Draw functions. If you're drawing it over a solid background, you could draw a rect over it with alpha to give it the appearance of transparency, but if you're trying to alpha blend it onto another image, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Drawing alpha rectangles over the top of images works as a decent trick but it really chews through performance for anything bigger than small on those slow as sap classic models.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Not quite sure what you are actually doing but to get around sone of the alpha issues of the lower models (although current models ) i use get deviceinfo to determine what device is loading my program, and then use this information globally to set function pointers to use the correct methods or download bitmaps that were intentionally blended to give the same look and feel as methods that do their own alpha blending on the higher models. Having a framework that uses aa as objects lends itself nicely to this. This way I can support the strengths and weaknesses of the various models with one channel
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
cpjamloki
Visitor

thanx guys for sharing your views.
0 Kudos
cpjamloki
Visitor

hi komag as you say
Drawing alpha rectangles over the top of images works as a decent trick
but it is only for transparent RGBA color on top of image.

i want to show image(which should be transparent ) on top of static image.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Then it sounds like you might have to either abandon the idea or abandon supporting legacy Rokus 😞
0 Kudos
cpjamloki
Visitor

yes komag. 😞
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
Then it sounds like you might have to either abandon the idea or abandon supporting legacy Rokus 😞

Looks like the decision was just made for you, check your developer email. Legacy no mo.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos