Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sattun
Roku Guru

Re: "SceneGraph: Build a Channel" video course

Hi Jonathan,

I checked your channel and it looks great, I saw some replies that RDP is not showing your content, Roku Direct Publisher is a great product and its free, but it has its limits and drawback, one of them is that it takes hours for the new content to update and it's very hard to troubleshoot.

You will be spending a lot of time to troubleshoot if you are creating your content feed by hand, and you are not familiar with RDP.

That said, If you are looking for a more robust solution to manage your content feed for RDP, then I would recommend our OTTfeed.com platform, it was designed to solve this exact problem and much more.

Also, We have custom Roku app that is similar to RDP but with more features, to get more info about our OTTFeed management system and custom Roku app, go to https://ottfeed.com and request a demo.

Thanks,

OTTfeed: Lease a custom Roku SDK for $99/month go to https://OTTfeed.com/lease
0 Kudos
tattness
Binge Watcher

Hi @RokuJonathanD I've followed your video courses and copied the coding given in the examples. However I keep getting an error in Eclipse's IDE for my RowListItemComponent.xml file. for the section  <component name="RowListItemComponent" extends="Group" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="https://devtools.web.roku.
com/schema/RokuSceneGraph.xsd">

I keep getting an error message "the prefix "xsi" for attribute "xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation" associated with element type "component" is not bound".

I am currently trying to find solutions to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
RolandoDelgado
Reel Rookie

Hi, can I sign up for the course through my whatsapp by heymods app?

0 Kudos
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RolandoDelgado, you can watch the video lessons on-demand on YouTube, the Roku Developers Videos site, or on your Roku device.

0 Kudos

Re: "SceneGraph: Build a Channel" video course could be better

I am new to Roku development, and I have to say, that your course is hard to follow.

Some suggestions which will make course a better one

-write code in IDE, with colored highlighting, not in a notepad

-explain code line by line, preferably after you have written the line, not after 10 lines of code in 5 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would be great if someone made a decent book about programming in Roku BrightScript. I would definitely buy it, like hundreds of new developers, who are confused about it.

0 Kudos
Conspyre
Streaming Star

Re: "SceneGraph: Build a Channel" video course could be better

Well it makes me feel slightly better that the Roku Developers channel falls on its face as hard as the channels we're trying to put up using Direct Publisher. I must say, this platform is remarkable for its obtuseness, all possible ways to debug are stripped away to give the thinnest veneer of tangible information in its error messages without the vaguest hint as to a possible clue as to why things don't work. But you can make changes and try, and if you're not in the six hour cache window, or stuck waiting 48 hours because you published because Direct Publisher doesn't let you see previews of unpublished channels - they look exactly as the results described here - an empty, useless channel with no information as to why it is so…

Good luck debugging your channel. Lol.

JLCBC
Reel Rookie

Hey all,

I have been building a channel based on the Roku SceneGraph youtube channel seen here , and I notice that the GridScreen tutorial is sorted by what seems to be alphabetical. I was wondering how does one change the order the content to have the movies on the line before ShortFormVideos. I've seen this article, but I'm not sure how to implement this. Any help is welcome!

0 Kudos
creative_veinz
Reel Rookie

I just wish this course didn't leave out critical stuff like how to create categories and add videos with tags to those categories like in direct publisher.  Also how to actually put together an app with all the elements.   This goes through each element individually and leaves you to figure out how to include them all into the final app.  I also wonder why there hasn't been a full template created so that we can just link our json file to it and all the options we need.  (like categories...). 

ferdiworks
Roku Guru

I would believe that your jason feed would have your category and tags in it and on the roku side in nthe deve;loper piortal you would select and use categorie from freed option!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

The date added in your json feed would place the newest video content first,m however using custom categories on the roku developer side can change your categorie display. try it!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos