Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Roku" app sends superfluous events on long-press release

Trying to spin-off a topic from this thread viewtopic.php?f=34&t=91478

Basically @NewManLiving has noticed that the current version of "Roku" (by Roku Inc) app for iPhone is sending surplus/excess events when the << (RW) or >> (FF) buttons are released after holding them for a long time (e.g. long scroll - and on release it suddenly jumps an extra page too far).

Here is reconstruction of the discussion so far:

"NewManLiving" wrote:

"NewManLiving" wrote:

"EnTerr" wrote:

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps you know something about the new ROKU app. The last time I checked (it has been a couple of months, perhaps something changed ), holding down any of the scroll icons resulted in an extra set of key press being sent to the device when the icon was released. ( At least this occurs in my own channel ); however, This does not occur with a single key down/up only when holding down the icon for continuous scroll. This behavior was not present in the old app and is not consistent with the way the remote works. I have verified the extra sequence in my own code. As there really is no way to tell what device is sending commands it cannot be intercepted and ignored

Huh, that's an interesting one. It could be either because of change of what "Roku by Roku" app ECP-sends has changed - or it might be a change in the firmware too. How does my "old faithful" remote app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote- ... d438407178) behave with your channel? That is if you are about iOS. If both apps (mis)behave the same, we blame it on the firmware (or your channel 🙂 ). If they differ - it may be the app.

I will try yours out and see. However, the application responds as expected with all remotes and with the old ROKU app. So I do not see where the channel code is even the issue but I'll look at that again . A simple print statement reveals the extra set of commands as received when the icon is released. This is what I'm am concerned with

Nice remote app ! Works perfect, better than the remote itself - And there is no extra set of commands sent to the device. So the problem is apparently with the new Roku App. Just tested the new ROKU app again and the problem still exists.
So since only the new ROKU app is exhibiting the problem and no other app or remote, then probably is more likely the app itself
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: "Roku" app sends superfluous events on long-press releas

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Nice remote app ! Works perfect, better than the remote itself - And there is no extra set of commands sent to the device. So the problem is apparently with the new Roku App. Just tested the new ROKU app again and the problem still exists.
So since only the new ROKU app is exhibiting the problem and no other app or remote, then probably is more likely the app itself

Ok, i scrutinized the behavior with both apps and can confirm that Roku's own iOS app (v3.3.1) causes the player to receive 1 extra Up and 1 Down event on release of long-pressed <</>> button. On the other hand this is not the case with a previous version (v3.2.2) of the iOS app that i tried, nor the Android (3.3.1) or Windows phone (2.1) versions of "Roku". So the (d)effect was introduced either in November by 3.3.1 or in October by 3.3.0.

Here is how it looks in Roku "home" screen: using the "Roku" iOS app, stay in the left (text) menu, press&hold [>>] - the menu starts rolling continuously. Now release [>>] and see how it suddenly yanks 1 screen ahead and then stops. Try that with a physical remote or another app to compare.

And here is what events i receive (72 is Marmalade key code for >> but i bet timing situation looks the same in BrSc):
pressed 72    <-- here we press >>
. <-- nothing happens here, long wait holding >> down
released 72 <-- here >> was released, 3 rapid events received
pressed 72
released 72

Now i don't know what/why ECP commands the 3.3.1 "Roku" app sends to get this weirdness - but i know what my app does and that seems to work well, it's described here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=85535#p506285
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@Roku* - can we haz bug filed on this issue?
I've done most of the legwork above
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@Roku* - hello?
"Roku" app bug/mis-feature request?
0 Kudos