Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: query screensaver settings

"malort" wrote:
Yea, I had used that at first, but there are some drawbacks as the last keypress isn't a perfect representation of being idle.

Just curious.. what non-idle action have you encountered that doesn't require a keypress? I'm sure there must be some, but I can't think of any...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
malort
Visitor

1. a custom slideshow using an roImageCanvas. This could be prevented though by sending a keyboard event periodically, or using a keydown event to advance progress when the idle time expires.
2. audioPlayer - but that is up to ones option if they consider that idle/non-idle.

Those two have prevented me from wanting to use the keypress idle time, but I'm not sure there is a clear winner.

"TheEndless" wrote:
"malort" wrote:
Yea, I had used that at first, but there are some drawbacks as the last keypress isn't a perfect representation of being idle.

Just curious.. what non-idle action have you encountered that doesn't require a keypress? I'm sure there must be some, but I can't think of any...
0 Kudos
malort
Visitor

After taking another look at TimeSinceLastKeypress, it does seem that maybe this is more or less the device idle time. The built-in screens, roVideoPlayer and roSlideShow seem to reset the counter, ~10 seconds for video, and on every slideshow change. This will work well to know the idle time, unless one uses a roImageCanvas or roScreen for a slideshow (or something similar). For those, it's possible to use a hacky method, and send an unused keyboard ECP event via Lit_* to reset the idle time (which you would need to do anyways to disable the global screensaver)

"TheEndless" wrote:
"malort" wrote:

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"malort" wrote:
... it's possible to use a hack method, and send an unused keyboard ECP event via Lit_* to rest the idle time (which you would need to do anyways to disable the global screensaver)

But what of the nasty "BLEEP" sound that causes?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"malort" wrote:
... it's possible to use a hack method, and send an unused keyboard ECP event via Lit_* to rest the idle time (which you would need to do anyways to disable the global screensaver)

But what of the nasty "BLEEP" sound that causes?

It shouldn't cause any sounds if you're using an roScreen or roImageCanvas.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

It wouldn't cause a sound if the screen itself doesn't use the button sent - "instant-replay" anyone? 😉
0 Kudos