Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsj123
Visitor

mythtv channnel

My son and I were discussing the best way to release the code we just finished to use the Roku box as a Myth client. If we post it on a web site for download, you need to have the SDK to install it.

You need to be able to set the ip address in the brightscript code for your webserver, install some some scripts on your Myth box, set the password for your mysql database in the cgi script, put a transcode job in Myth, change your apache config to share the video files.

We have no desire to do much support.

We thought about using a Roku private channel to release it, but that only removes one of the steps above.

Roku, and community, looking for some advice.

--Stephen
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
bcl
Channel Surfer

Re: mythtv channnel

You can add a screen to prompt the user to set the IP or hostname of your mythtv box. See my example at http://bitbucket.org/bcl/homevideo/. Note, I have new code for this that I'm hoping to push later this week, but the IP screen hasn't changed.
0 Kudos
scrager
Visitor

I'd like to see how you set up the transcoding. Do you have all the steps documented as to how to set them up and what they do?

I would suggest a website with documentation and download. If you don't want to provide support, then requiring an SDK account would probably be in your best interest.
0 Kudos
TommyTheKid
Visitor

I really think this makes a LOT more sense than changing the code. I think it would be a bit nicer if it would check and see that the value has been entered once and just skip directly to the content. It could then have a settings screen that you could go back and change (or add?) media servers.

"bcl" wrote:
You can add a screen to prompt the user to set the IP or hostname of your mythtv box. See my example at http://bitbucket.org/bcl/homevideo/. Note, I have new code for this that I'm hoping to push later this week, but the IP screen hasn't changed.
0 Kudos
bege
Visitor

I have spent the better part of the weekend trying to get real-time mpeg2 to mp4 encoding to work. I have tired many different solutions and the only thing that I got to work was VLC real time duplicating the media. This was no means workable.
MythWeb has real time encoding but it converts it to ASX which is not supported. It would be awesome to have mythweb output MP4. I haven't seen a single way of doing this. I really want to avoid having two copies of every show that I have. My myth setup already takes over 2TB.
Its pretty easy to setup a custom user job to do this transcoding but I wanted to avoid it. There are lots of tutorials on the net for that.
0 Kudos
n9yty
Visitor

"jsj123" wrote:
My son and I were discussing the best way to release the code we just finished to use the Roku box as a Myth client. If we post it on a web site for download, you need to have the SDK to install it.
It doesn't have to be all or nothing.. I suspect that releasing it in this fashion for those who want to get under the hood and deal with all the bits and pieces would be a good idea. And then, if there is a way to make a more streamlined release for the masses, that could be done as well. Or maybe once you release it in the raw format, someone else would make it polished and shine it up for noobs.
0 Kudos
TommyTheKid
Visitor

I suppose I am being obvious here, but is there some way to get MythTV to just encode the file in MP4 format to start, and keep it that way. MPEG2 is probably just the least common denominator, but if you have enough horsepower to encode live, then you can just encode the shows live as you record them, right?

"bege" wrote:
I have spent the better part of the weekend trying to get real-time mpeg2 to mp4 encoding to work. I have tired many different solutions and the only thing that I got to work was VLC real time duplicating the media. This was no means workable.
MythWeb has real time encoding but it converts it to ASX which is not supported. It would be awesome to have mythweb output MP4. I haven't seen a single way of doing this. I really want to avoid having two copies of every show that I have. My myth setup already takes over 2TB.
Its pretty easy to setup a custom user job to do this transcoding but I wanted to avoid it. There are lots of tutorials on the net for that.
0 Kudos
bege
Visitor

All of my tuners only output in mpeg2. There is no option to change it. From my reading I believe majority of tuners only output in Mpeg2. They have hardware encoders so there is no load when recording. I wish it was as simple as you say.
0 Kudos
bpierce815
Visitor

You can create a job in mythtv to transcode the video once it has been recorded. This wouldn't help with live video tho.
0 Kudos
jsj123
Visitor

I suspect that only way we are going to live straming/encoding from Myttv to the Roku is with HTTP Live (or whatever Apple calls). If I understand it correctly, you break up the source video into many small chunks, i.e 10 minutes per, and transcode them. Your web server keeps feed the transcode pieces in order to the Roku.

Thats my best guess.

Any ides on where to put a file that you guys can download?

--Stephen
0 Kudos