Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dev42
Visitor

<roScreen> = Invalid very much necessary!

Sorry if this is a rehash.
( Possibly: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=45303 )

But in trying to learn the proper order and placement of bitmap.finish() ( viewtopic.php?f=34&t=75592 ) I left out a call to invalidate the screen ( <roScreen> = Invalid )

screen = Invalid

and the main Roku menu disappears!
Roku 2 3100X, SW ver 5.5 * build 410

peace & 42
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: <roScreen> = Invalid very much necessary!

Wha? Please explain what do you mean with "the main Roku menu disappears!" ?

Nothing should be able to prevent Home button from exiting an app and returning to player's home screen. Programmatically exiting (END/STOP/RETURN) should also take care of the cleanup - or at least always has for me. Could it be you were experiencing the infamous "black screensaver"?
0 Kudos
dev42
Visitor

The app exits fine. It's *after* exiting that one notices the main Roku menu is gone. Vanished. Great magic trick. FWIW, it is still there, it is just not displaying. My Channels, Setup etc are still functional too, just the words, "My Channels", "Setup" etc are missing. [Edit: They are: My Channels, Movies, TV Shows, News, Search, Channel Store, Settings but, c'mon. Setup <--> Settings. I was so close!]

AFAICT, this is due to the missing "<roScreen> = Invalid".

Also, this may be a Roku 2 XS ( 3100X, SW ver 5.5 * build 410 ) issue.

peace & 42
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Huh. Can you like, take a photo (e.g. w/cell phone - sadly in their infinite wisdom, Roku does not allow screen capture of non-side-loaded) of how that looks like and post it here, for my bemusement and RokuCo perusal?

FWIW, my Roku has no "Setup" menu item, so i think here a picture == 1000 words.
0 Kudos
dev42
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
Huh. Can you like, take a photo (e.g. w/cell phone - sadly in their infinite wisdom, Roku does not allow screen capture of non-side-loaded) of how that looks like and post it here, for my bemusement and RokuCo perusal?

FWIW, my Roku has no "Setup" menu item, so i think here a picture == 1000 words.

Too lazy to go thru all the steps, but then rem I can email the image to myself! Couch Potato-dom saved!

Then I tried it and nothing! No, not nothing... the menu was there! No bug! Bummer! 😛

I can only offer my own assumptions as to why it happened, but that might color your own deduction. So, I won't mention that I haven't yet gotten around making sure my app isn't leaking mem etc etc. OR that my SOP is to power off my Roku 2XS every night ( which might have had extra benefits than those intended ) OR that I live in a Faraday Cage... J/K.

I'll try to rem to take a picture when things go wonky... but now that I'm learning good Roku programming techniques, that may never happen! 😉

peace & 42
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
sadly in their infinite wisdom, Roku does not allow screen capture of non-side-loaded

I suspect this is to prevent users from screen capturing copyrighted content, or some other not-so-obvious legal justification.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
sadly in their infinite wisdom, Roku does not allow screen capture of non-side-loaded

I suspect this is to prevent users from screen capturing copyrighted content, or some other not-so-obvious legal justification.

Speaking in legalese, a single-frame snapshot is allowable under "fair-use" exceptions and limitations in copyright law. But often leaving the impression that you do something is more important than minutia of doing it. Someone hears a credit card payment system includes a fingerprint sensor and they declare ApplePay the ultimate in security. Or tell them that a "uniquely-keyed ... hardware encryption engine" is used to protect content, throw a few more buzzwords, their eyes glaze over and they feel their code is secured.

@dev42, it's unfortunate that behavior is not reproducible reliably. Those are the nastiest/hardest to track down bugs. Theoretically nothing that you do in your code should affect the Roku player after exit since during channel tear-down memory gets released, handles closed etc
0 Kudos