Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LLDM_channel
Binge Watcher

how much bandwidth for live stream is needed?

Jump to solution

I am having a hard time finding the requirements on a per viewer basis on LIVE streaming. I know that I need to build an HLS server. I am good with that. I just do not know how much bandwidth per viewer I am going to need. Say I have 10,000 people that are going to watch my live feed of an event. HOW MUCH bandwidth am I going to need? What formula is there? Is there even a formula? I need to know and hope someone is willing to answer it for me!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: how much bandwidth for live stream is needed?

Jump to solution

The 'per-event' plan is valid for 1 year also, you just buy the bandwidth upfront. (1TB $250-ish minimum). So I suppose it's more like prepaid or pay as you go than per event. Not all that bad a deal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It'll vary on your stream quality, but figure around 2-5mbps. So, you can do the math of a viewer into a minute/hour of megabyte per second x 60 x 60.

Dacast has an informative website that explains alot of this, even an estimator. You should look into them, they offer a per-event billing which is rare in streaming anymore. Starts around $200 and likely would cover your first stream or two if not more. 

https://www.dacast.com/live-streaming-pricing-plans/

0 Kudos
LLDM_channel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

So thankful for your help and guidance! I am starting a channel that will need this information and your help in locating the pricing is SUPER helpful!!!!

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The 'per-event' plan is valid for 1 year also, you just buy the bandwidth upfront. (1TB $250-ish minimum). So I suppose it's more like prepaid or pay as you go than per event. Not all that bad a deal.

0 Kudos