Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnelms
Binge Watcher

Re: help playing stream

"dellsweig" wrote:
"KennyJ" wrote:
I can't seem to get a video to stream through TVersity. I used the Simple Video example and put the TVeristy link in there and it wasn't working. I did successfully pull up the jpg on my network through TVersity though.

I had set TVersity up to transcode to WMV and tried playing a Youtube video. Not only does it not play, it reboots my Roku.

I just gave up on the TVersity solution.. It seems it is taking the stream from the XM player and writing the conversion to a file. When I connect to the "tversity" feed I always go to the beginning of the file - instead of the real time feed. Thee seems to be a huge amount of I/O as well - the disk light is lite up on my quad core PC and cpu is all over the place.

Well - back to square one....

I was going to mention this to you, but see you already found this out. You were going to lose quality and speed because TVersity will convert your source to what it wants to in order to play. It works fine in other settings, but being able to play a file directly to a box (ie the Roku) with no transcoding (other than the hardware end) will utlmately be faster.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"dnelms" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:
"KennyJ" wrote:
I can't seem to get a video to stream through TVersity. I used the Simple Video example and put the TVeristy link in there and it wasn't working. I did successfully pull up the jpg on my network through TVersity though.

I had set TVersity up to transcode to WMV and tried playing a Youtube video. Not only does it not play, it reboots my Roku.

I just gave up on the TVersity solution.. It seems it is taking the stream from the XM player and writing the conversion to a file. When I connect to the "tversity" feed I always go to the beginning of the file - instead of the real time feed. Thee seems to be a huge amount of I/O as well - the disk light is lite up on my quad core PC and cpu is all over the place.

Well - back to square one....

I was going to mention this to you, but see you already found this out. You were going to lose quality and speed because TVersity will convert your source to what it wants to in order to play. It works fine in other settings, but being able to play a file directly to a box (ie the Roku) with no transcoding (other than the hardware end) will utlmately be faster.

Agreed - the overhead - both on the quality and the PC was not worth it.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the Roku to play the stream generated by XMPlayer
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Is it possible for you to use mp3 output from TVersity? I would suggest using mp3 streams for your "live" radio station and be sure to SetLoop(1) on your audio player so that the audio object isn't torn down at the end of the song.

Note that the StreamFormat parameter must match the actual encoding ("mp3" or "wma") which is the 4th parameter in your CreateSong() function.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
Is it possible for you to use mp3 output from TVersity? I would suggest using mp3 streams for your "live" radio station and be sure to SetLoop(1) on your audio player so that the audio object isn't torn down at the end of the song.

Note that the StreamFormat parameter must match the actual encoding ("mp3" or "wma") which is the 4th parameter in your CreateSong() function.

Kevin

I downloaded the latest SiriusXMPlayer which supports M3U streams.

I modified my CreateSong object with this stream

Function CreateGdSongList() as Object
aa = CreateObject("roAssociativeArray")
aa.posteritems = CreateObject("roArray", 10, true)
song = CreateSong("GD","Live XM Radio Stream","Grateful Dead", "mp3", "http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=m3u","http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kFK17fWz8Ts/R5fB090pTEI/AAAAAAAAAC4/WNdywVeBQ9A/s400/grateful_dead-steal_your_face-sailfastchicago.jpg")
aa.posteritems.push(song)
return aa
End Function

Note that this URL plays FINE on my Roku Soundbridge

When I launch the app - The log indicates no errors and the XM Player log indicates the stream is requested and serviced:

9:37 AM: Servicing request from '192.168.1.35:60889'...
9:37 AM: Retrieving stream URL for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
9:37 AM: Retrieving M3U for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
9:37 AM: Completed request from '192.168.1.35:60889'.

Still no love.... No audio output from the App on the RokuHD

Any ideas??
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Is that URL actually delivering an MP3 file? What do you get if you download that same URL in a browser or via wget/curl? Note that the Roku does not support m3u files. If you say that it's an MP3 file (by passing "mp3" as the parameter to CreateSong), then the file must actually be an MP3 file, not m3u, wma or anything else.

--Mark
0 Kudos
dupondt
Channel Surfer

dellsweig,

I downloaded the latest SiriusXMPlayer which supports M3U streams.

M3U is not a (streaming) format like MP3, WMA, OGG Vorbis or AAC(plus), but a playlist type (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U). If I have understood RokuMarkn correctly the DVP is not capable of parsing such playlist files.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot
0 Kudos
campbellwang
Visitor

CDNTwo supports m3u,pls and asx.
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"campbellwang" wrote:
CDNTwo supports m3u,pls and asx.

well - when will this be available - either as a private or public offering
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Is that URL actually delivering an MP3 file? What do you get if you download that same URL in a browser or via wget/curl? Note that the Roku does not support m3u files. If you say that it's an MP3 file (by passing "mp3" as the parameter to CreateSong), then the file must actually be an MP3 file, not m3u, wma or anything else.

--Mark

Well I have been working with the author of the SirusXmPlayer and got the following advice:

The Sirius and XM streams are WMA. In order to get them in an MP3 format, you'll need to have them transcoded. The easiest way to do that is probably via TVersity, since there's built in support for it in SiriusXMStreamer. To do so, just install TVersity on the same machine, and make sure the TVersity IP and port are configured in SiriusXMStreamer. You can then provide the TVersity formatted URLs to your RokuHD app, which should look similar to this: http://<yourip>:51710/xm?channel=100&tversity=mp3

I made these changes - the new URL plays fine as an MP3 in my web browser - when I use this URL in the CreateSong function with the type set to mp3 - the Roku freezes - requiring a power restart
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Roku support WMA though.
0 Kudos