Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trevor
Visitor

grid screen reboots Roku with certain optimized images

Going round and round I finally discovered why my grid screen was killing the Roku box with a "connection closed by foreign host" message. While the images have been working fine with every other screen I've used them on (both poster and springboard) for whatever reason if one of these images in a thumbnail on a grid screen the Roku will reboot before it ever displays the screen. Later I've learned that these images have been optimized by running them through ImageOptim, as such there's something missing/different about these images that's tripping up whatever image loading routing grid screen is using. Just thought I'd let everyone know as this drove me crazy for awhile, and was pretty hard to track down why. So if you want to use a grid screen make sure your images haven't been squeezed of every last drop of info to save disk space.
*** Trevor Anderson - bloggingwordpress.com - moviemavericks.com ***
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: grid screen reboots Roku with certain optimized images

You could try PNGCrush - it's open source.
0 Kudos
Trevor
Visitor

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, ImageOptim uses PNGCrush and a bunch of others, it's just a GUI front end to them all. The issue I was having was with JPGs and not PNGs, not sure if PNGs would have the same issue if ran through PNGCrush or not. These "optimizers" use cheats and exploits to get file size low sometimes, I bet that's the issue here.
*** Trevor Anderson - bloggingwordpress.com - moviemavericks.com ***
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Can you pm me a link where we can download and analyze some images that cause this behavior?

Thanks,

Joel
0 Kudos