Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhishek
Channel Surfer

getCatalog issue with product ids

I was using ChannelStore node with fakeServer, I have stored required xml files inside csfake folder. I was able to test the billing flow and even the getCatalog was giving the proper response as per the local files.

Again to test it with the real product ids with Roku Account, I have removed the local folder csfake and done the required setup in Roku Account as per the documentation. But the issue is I am not getting the product ids from Roku Account, it is still giving me the response of previous xml file?

On other Roku Device I have tried the same code and it's giving me 0  product from "getCatalog".

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: getCatalog issue with product ids

likely what's happening is you are trying this from a side-loaded channel - and if i remember (it has been a long time since i used this), it did not work from "dev" but worked from a published channel. So, create a private channel (on the account where products are), push it published, install on the device and see if it accesses the catalog. The problem is, non-side-loaded apps don't have console accessible, so app will either have to send that info somewhere over http, or try displaying it on screen, something like:

st = createObject("roChannelStore") 
pt = createObject("roMessagePort")
st.setMessagePort(pt)
st.getCatalog()
e = wait(0,pt)
dlg = createObject("roMessageDialog")
dlg.setText(formatJSON(e.getResponse()).replace(",", ", "))
dlg.show()
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

"RokuNB" wrote:
likely what's happening is you are trying this from a side-loaded channel - and if i remember (it has been a long time since i used this), it did not work from "dev" but worked from a published channel. So, create a private channel (on the account where products are), push it published, install on the device and see if it accesses the catalog. The problem is, non-side-loaded apps don't have console accessible, so app will either have to send that info somewhere over http, or try displaying it on screen, something like:

st = createObject("roChannelStore") 
pt = createObject("roMessagePort")
st.setMessagePort(pt)
st.getCatalog()
e = wait(0,pt)
dlg = createObject("roMessageDialog")
dlg.setText(formatJSON(e.getResponse()).replace(",", ", "))
dlg.show()

But if we don't have the debug console (in non-side loaded channel) it is very difficult to debug the app and another important thing that if anything goes wrong Roku might charge the amount also. 
We don't have the refund option as well. 
Can you please fix it from your side for sideloaded channels also (because I think you have recently launched it as a feature in new firmware and your team would like to fix as well), so that we can test it properly. My app release is pending just because of this.
Need help from Roku Team on this asap.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"abhishek" wrote:
But if we don't have the debug console (in non-side loaded channel) it is very difficult to debug the app

that's why i proposed you my personal workaround above.

and another important thing that if anything goes wrong Roku might charge the amount also. We don't have the refund option as well. 

that's what the "test users" section in dev.portal is about. add viewer accounts there by email - and if i recollect my personal experience, these test accounts won't be charged actual money - although transactions will behave as if this is happening (incl. PIN and reporting a charge). also from there i was able to cancel/refund transaction.

Can you please fix it from your side for sideloaded channels also (because I think you have recently launched it as a feature in new firmware and your team would like to fix as well), so that we can test it properly.

what is a recent feature here?
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

"RokuNB" wrote:
"abhishek" wrote:
But if we don't have the debug console (in non-side loaded channel) it is very difficult to debug the app

that's why i proposed you my personal workaround above.

This workaround is very time consuming process. But if you say then this is the only option we have ?
Every other platoform (android, iphone and even samsung etc.) provides the debug console, roku is the only one which don't have.

and another important thing that if anything goes wrong Roku might charge the amount also. We don't have the refund option as well. 

that's what the "test users" section in dev.portal is about. add viewer accounts there by email - and if i recollect my personal experience, these test accounts won't be charged actual money - although transactions will behave as if this is happening (incl. PIN and reporting a charge). also from there i was able to cancel/refund transaction.

I haven't seen the refund option in the portal because I couldn't make any transaction. Also it is nowhere documented in the docs as well. 
And your user documentation says that subscriptions are pre paid and non-refundable. https://support.roku.com/article/208756478-how-do-i-manage-or-cancel-a-subscription

Can you please fix it from your side for sideloaded channels also (because I think you have recently launched it as a feature in new firmware and your team would like to fix as well), so that we can test it properly.

what is a recent feature here?

Recent feature as per your blog https://blog.roku.com/developer/testing-billing-products
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

@RokuNB, Can you please confirm if Roku Team has the plan to fix this for the sideloaded app in near future? 
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

Can someone from Roku Team please confirm if they have plans to fix it or not?
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"abhishek" wrote:
@RokuNB, Can you please confirm if Roku Team has the plan to fix this for the sideloaded app in near future? 

i am told this new (and new to me) feature is working.
send me (PM) your developer account info (email) - or open ticket w/ partnerSuccess at roku.com and explain there the issue w/link to this thread
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

"RokuNB" wrote:
"abhishek" wrote:

i am told this new (and new to me) feature is working.
send me (PM) your developer account info (email) - or open ticket w/ partnerSuccess at roku.com and explain there the issue w/link to this thread

Thanks for your reply. I have created a ticket at partnerSucces at roku.com
0 Kudos
developer_uj24
Binge Watcher

Same is with me I'm not getting subscriptions using getCatalog command I put channel on store and install using vanity code. Please help me out?

0 Kudos