Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
p2premote
Visitor

chinese characters can not be dislayed

I tried to use the roku ui component to display Chinese characters (title, description etc), but them simply won't show up.

Is there a way to work around this problem?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: chinese characters can not be dislayed

You will probably need to develop your own screen using roScreen and roFontResource with a Chinese TTF font.

-Joel
0 Kudos
p2premote
Visitor

is there any document about roFontResource? I can not find it in the sdk documentations. And nothing shows up with google....
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

sorry, its roFont and roFontRegistry, and the docs are in the Brightscript Reference Manual.

- Joel
0 Kudos
p2premote
Visitor

I saw roFontRegistry in the component reference but no roFont everywhere, where is it?

Also, the chinese fonts are all very large (about 6M), am not able to bundle thew in the app due to the size. Is it other way to get them into the system?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

roFont is in the Brightscript manual, where pretty much all the new features are.

Maybe there is a smaller font you can find? If not, then you can use roURLTransfer gettofile() or asyncGettoFile() to download to tmp:/ but 6mb is a significant bandwidth hit if you have lots of users (although, nothing near the bandwidth cost of streaming video).

A quick google search for Chinese fonts file size comes up with quite a variety of fonts.

- Joel
0 Kudos