Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coskel
Roku Guru

channels streaming tv content they dont own?

There are a couple of channels i see that are re-streaming US television content that I'm sure they don't own.
(very high profile programming, also its obviously a direct feed from a cable television channel)

Is there somewhere to report this type of thing?
Channels: Go Live Sports Cast/Audion - Audiobooks On Demand
"All I've had today is, like, six gummy bears and some scotch."
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: channels streaming tv content they dont own?

The FBI would refer you to http://www.ic3.gov/
You could also contact the channel developer or Roku.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hi,

Please send an email to jbraverman [at] roku [dot] com listing any those you think are streaming content they don't have the rights to stream.

- Joel
0 Kudos
coskel
Roku Guru

@destruk - I've used that before to report people using my content that I have a federal copyright to, and 5 years later, still no response.
TL;DR - I have little faith in the IC3.

@RokuJoel - thank for the quick response and also for the email about my other questions. Many Thanks.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

They don't reply to every email but at least it's reported for them to generate a case.
Most of the cases that are prosecuted are publicized on the fbi website after the case is finished (which could take years). Their feeling is if you are not the criminal then you don't need constant updates on what is going on.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

@coskel:

is this content You own the rights to? For that, follow the DMCA process - you file a DMCA takedown notice with us against the channel you believe is infringing your content.

- Joel
0 Kudos
coskel
Roku Guru

Thanks destruk.

No Joel, we don't own it - I just noticed another channel using content they don't own. I'll send you an email about it.

Thanks for this reply and the other one.
0 Kudos
skeptic
Visitor

"You can't stop the signal."

Seriously, you might be able to get questionable channels removed from Roku but there is just no way to stop movie or TV show piracy. There are even some apps/services that I don't understand how they can be legal, but at least for now are not considered illegal. Justin.tv may be the one the OP is referring to, as there is a fair number of DMCA violations there. Problem is, it's just like youtube in the fact that they don't provide any video and as long as they comply with the DMCA and remove channels when notified of a violation they are not breaking any laws.
Roku 3
Roku Streaming Stick
Fire TV
Chromecast
G-box Midnight MX2 (retired)
Various mini PCs running OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu (retired)
OTA live/recorded tv - cheap indoor antenna + MythTV + XBMC
0 Kudos