Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: can xml reference functions outside of xml?

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
I would have, if i could remember it is "\". Today I pondered for a moment if int division was added at some point, even tried "div" and "//" but no dice. Somewhat embarrassing really... 

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it was added until 7.0.

1.5 years ago actually, together with << and >>.  Hindsight 20/20

And I'm sure you'll find some joy in the fact that the Eclipse plugin still doesn't recognize it as valid syntax...

Umm... who? [spoiler=star-lord:ydpytikf][youtube:ydpytikf]vWh6VllqX_4[/youtube:ydpytikf][/spoiler:ydpytikf]
Speaking of which, didn't RokuCo hire someone to write a proper IDE last year? I seem to recollect there was job posting on that which is gone now. So by deduction, one would expect that turd be gone soon?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Wow, I really need to read those release notes more often.  There's all kinds of goodness that's been added since the last time I looked.  😄

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
I would have, if i could remember it is "\". Today I pondered for a moment if int division was added at some point, even tried "div" and "//" but no dice. Somewhat embarrassing really... 

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it was added until 7.0.

1.5 years ago actually, together with << and >>.  Hindsight 20/20

And I'm sure you'll find some joy in the fact that the Eclipse plugin still doesn't recognize it as valid syntax...

Umm... who? [spoiler=star-lord:3blt4gik][youtube:3blt4gik]vWh6VllqX_4[/youtube:3blt4gik][/spoiler:3blt4gik]
Speaking of which, didn't RokuCo hire someone to write a proper IDE last year? I seem to recollect there was job posting on that which is gone now. So by deduction, one would expect that turd be gone soon?

As much as I'm sure you're enjoying discussing this, can we please return to the topic at hand? I really would like to figure this stuff out so I can finish up this program. My inexperience with screen graph applications is extreme and cannot find the information I need to solve these problems I'm having from anywhere.
I AM THE ARCHMAGE... who is also rather new to Brightscript so forgive me for seeming inept at times.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"scaper12123" wrote:
As much as I'm sure you're enjoying discussing this, can we please return to the topic at hand? I really would like to figure this stuff out so I can finish up this program. My inexperience with screen graph applications is extreme and cannot find the information I need to solve these problems I'm having from anywhere.

My apologies for the diversion. As i said
The main question however remains...

I'll leave to the Roku* evangelists on staff to answer it - they are being paid to be enthusiastic about and to shill for the SG xml-ography. The question is broad, so even the more reason it falls under their auspices.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"scaper12123" wrote:
I have a function I use to record time that I want to reference in an xml document I'm using to create a countdown timer. Is the code within the xml document capable of recognizing that I am referencing a function within my primary brightscript documents, or do I have to do something special to point that fact out?

If I understand what you are asking, you need to reference the code with a script tag:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<component name="basic" extends="Scene" initialFocus="Channels">
<script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/components/radio.brs" />
<script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/source/utils.brs" />

Hope that helps answer your question, if not, post back here.

"EnTerr" wrote:

I'll leave to the Roku* evangelists on staff to answer it - they are being paid to be enthusiastic about and to shill for the SG xml-ography. The question is broad, so even the more reason it falls under their auspices.

I think most Roku employees are enthusiastic because we believe in the product, the company and the potential for revolutionizing the TV space.
I don't know anyone who isn't at least a little bit excited, even the people who have been here for many years.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

I think most Roku employees are enthusiastic because we believe in the product, the company and the potential for revolutionizing the TV space.
I don't know anyone who isn't at least a little bit excited, even the people who have been here for many years.

RokuJoel,
perhaps you misread what i said. I was not talking about Roku devices or employees.

Rather, it was about the "SDK2.0" - hinting that the way scene graph is implemented is far from "great". It's distant from "good" even - on which i opine as someone who has used scene graph elsewhere. So, what i mean was that the paid evangelists are bound by duty to be enthusiastic about rSG - whether they like it (because have not seen better and think it's "the paradigm shift" that makes rSG so hard to use) or not - they ought to follow the party line and promote/explain it. It's like having Trump as GOP nominee - like it or not, have to drum up that "the Donald" is great. OTOH i as "independent voter" have the luxury of choosing what questions to answer.

I am curious if someone with experience using scene graphs on other platforms can share opinion on rSG ?
Contrast & compare would be great!
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
If I understand what you are asking, you need to reference the code with a script tag:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<component name="basic" extends="Scene" initialFocus="Channels">
<script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/components/radio.brs" />
<script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/source/utils.brs" />

Hope that helps answer your question, if not, post back here.

- Joel

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.
I AM THE ARCHMAGE... who is also rather new to Brightscript so forgive me for seeming inept at times.
0 Kudos