Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kfamily7
Reel Rookie

can Roku access my server that hasn't been port forwarded? (on a local ip)

Hi, I'm making a Roku app and I have a server running, but it hasn't been port forwarded and is using my computer's local IP. (192.168.1.1)

can Roku access the server by going to my local IP instead of a URL and get data from it?

The Roku is connected to the same Wi-Fi the server is running on, so it would make sense for it to work.

I can't find any other references of this. Someone let me know if I can do this.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TwitchBronBron
Streaming Star

Re: can Roku access my server that hasn't been port forwarded? (on a local ip)

Yes, if the Roku and the server are on the same network, then this is definitely possible. I'm able to do this exact thing when using the Jellyfin or Plex Roku apps on the Roku to connect to a local server. 

0 Kudos
philanderson777
Roku Guru

can Roku access the server by going to my local IP instead of a URL and get data from it?

... you should be able to determine the answer from this by testing yourself using either a 

- browser - can it reach the IP of your machine from another machine on the network

- javascript app - can you do a 'fetch' to that IP/port

- curl command - can you got a curl with GET request to that IP/port

(on your server have you set a port - if you have not set a port, would be good to set a port other than the default port 80)

PS are you sure the IP is 192.168.1.1 as that looks very close to the standard router IP on a network?

0 Kudos
kfamily7
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the help! also what I used was the router IP as an example

philanderson777
Roku Guru

not a problem and happy to help 🙂 

0 Kudos