Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Which code snippet is more efficient?

IF mAA.stepping
IF mAA.facing = 0 THEN mAA.curY = mAA.curY - 4
IF mAA.facing = 1 THEN mAA.curX = mAA.curX + 4
IF mAA.facing = 2 THEN mAA.curY = mAA.curY + 4
IF mAA.facing = 3 THEN mAA.curX = mAA.curX - 4
END IF

OR

IF mAA.stepping
IF mAA.facing = 0: mAA.curY = mAA.curY - 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 1: mAA.curX = mAA.curX + 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 2: mAA.curY = mAA.curY + 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 3: mAA.curX = mAA.curX - 4
END IF
END IF

(I personally always leave off "THEN" when I'm doing multi-line IF THEN blocks)

So the question really: Is a set of four single line IF THEN statements run more efficiently under-the-hood in BrightScript than a single block IF THEN using multiple ELSEIFs?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
greubel
Visitor

Re: Which code snippet is more efficient?

Personally, I would say the elseif is more efficient because if the value was 1, it would skip out on the second test.
But if you are in doubt, put both in a loop of 100, set the value for 0 to 4 and time them.
Never know for sure what BRS will do without testing it.
0 Kudos
dev42
Visitor

"Komag" wrote:
So the question really: Is a set of four single line IF THEN statements run more efficiently under-the-hood in BrightScript than a single block IF THEN using multiple ELSEIFs?

I prefer Option C ( which a few of the Gurus would have to approve / improve on 😞

Direction could be a vector... Up == (0, -1), Down == (0, 1), Left == (-1, 0), Right == (1, 0)

Then after checking for isStepping, no more IF's:
curX = curX + 4 * Direction.X ' or ... direction[0]?
curY = curY + 4 * Direction.Y ' or ... direction[1]?

I'll add that I've been taught (*cough* EnTerr *cough*) that using dictionary look-ups is slow and something you don't want to do in a loop. I've not tested this or know for fact how slow it would be to use a Dictionary ( roAA ) of only 2 values { x : ?, y : ? } But either way, converting that to a roArray wouldn't be too difficult / confusing to follow ( with a comment line or two ).

Yet, the dictionary look-up "performance hit" might have more to do with using the roAA "mAA" instead... dunno.

I'll also add that this "solution" might actually be slower! due to having a multiply instead of an add... but I like it better for unknown reasons. 😉

Finally I'll *ADD* one last tid-bit... as stated, if you don't nest your IF's your code will be doing extra work on average, BUT the nested IF's won't be a uniform amount of time thru that part of your code. *THAT SAID* does any of this really matter? Isn't this a very small optimization in the whole scheme of things?

As difficult as it might be, not that I do this first and foremost, but I'd say go with readable/maintainable code and optimize it later when/if you *NEED* to.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil (or at least most of it) in programming." -- Donald Knuth http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Donald_Knuth

peace, Happy Thanksgiving & 42

ps - I tried... I really tried *not* to make mention of this being my 42nd post. So, I won't. 😛
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"dev42" wrote:
I'll add that I've been taught (*cough* EnTerr *cough*) that using dictionary look-ups is slow and something you don't want to do in a loop.

Bless you! If i haven't said it, i'll repeat - "in a tight loop", meaning speed-critical. I'll bet money here that's a YAGNI, need not worry about that.

I've not tested this or know for fact how slow it would be to use a Dictionary ( roAA ) of only 2 values { x : ?, y : ? } But either way, converting that to a roArray wouldn't be too difficult / confusing to follow ( with a comment line or two ).

Yet, the dictionary look-up "performance hit" might have more to do with using the roAA "mAA" instead... dunno.

I'll also add that this "solution" might actually be slower! due to having a multiply instead of an add... but I like it better for unknown reasons. 😉

I like it better too. And to avoid multiplication, how about encoding the speed vector instead of single `mAA.facing` into 2 components (dX from delta-X, incremental step in X direction):
mAA.dX = 4
mAA.dY = -4
mAA.curX = mAA.curX + mAA.dX
mAA.curY = mAA.curY + mAA.dY

Now regarding multiple IFs, i usually take the "else if ..." chain approach because i have been burned quite a few time by side effects of previous IF on a later IF when they are not fenced off. E.g. say one of these IFs changes mAA.facing (maybe not right now but in future version of the program) - then weird things may happen. It's a bit of defensive programming.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
IF mAA.stepping
IF mAA.facing = 0: mAA.curY = mAA.curY - 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 1: mAA.curX = mAA.curX + 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 2: mAA.curY = mAA.curY + 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 3: mAA.curX = mAA.curX - 4
END IF
END IF

Oh, by the way - this format you show - it shouldn't even compile, if you ask me!
You are shaving too close to the skin for this to feel comfortable/safe. Slightest change - missing the ":" (what i'd call "destruk style") or replacing it with "THEN" - makes this stop compiling:

'no go
IF mAA.facing = 0 mAA.curY = mAA.curY - 4
ELSEIF ...
ENDIF
'no good either
IF mAA.facing = 0 THEN mAA.curY = mAA.curY - 4
ELSEIF ...
ENDIF

The exact syntax you used is not documented and with a minor change of the compiler may stop working. I suggest for block-IF put then-branch statements on separate line, that works with all 3 styles:

IF mAA.facing = 0: 'or `IF mAA.facing = 0` or `IF mAA.facing = 0 THEN`
mAA.curY = mAA.curY - 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 1:
mAA.curX = mAA.curX + 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 2:
mAA.curY = mAA.curY + 4
ELSEIF mAA.facing = 3:
mAA.curX = mAA.curX - 4
END IF
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Hmm, I'll consider, but the colon : is simply documented as:
"Each line may contain a single statement, or a colon ( : ) may be used to separate multiple statements on a single line."
(http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... +Reference section 2.0)
So I think it's pretty safe with future compilers to use a : sometimes instead of using a new line.

I too have gotten in trouble with all separate IF THENs when something was changed in an earlier one and then picked up by a later one and changed back! But on the other hand, often I need them separate so each thing will be checked regardless. Other times I just like to make my code line up and look pretty! 😄
0 Kudos