Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casolorz
Roku Guru

Where can I find out if there was a firmware update?

I know this page lists major versions https://sdkdocs.roku.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/1611545 but I'm wondering about minor updates. 

Also, I requested to enter some sort of beta program and never heard back, is that normal?

Thanks. 
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Where can I find out if there was a firmware update?

We don't have release notes for minor updates.  Typically, if you see something with a third digit that's non-zero, it is a branch specifically to support hardware that wasn't ready when the main branch was made -- for example, 8.1.0 was a major OS release, but 8.1.2 was made to support the a number of Roku TV models that were released while 8.1.0 was being finalized.  The minor branch is made to avoid destabilizing the builds used for most of the Roku devices with changes for those specific models.

If it's just a build number change, like 8.1.0.4102 to 8.1.0.4143, that's usually just a bug fix, addressing some issue seen during beta testing or during the staged roll out.
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Thank you for the explanation. 

So we started channel development a little bit ago I think on firmware 8.0 and then 8.1 came out. 8.0 supported something we were doing with subtitles and 8.1 does not. That is all fine, we hadn't released the channel yet. But that got me worried that things will change like that in the future and users will get upset, so how can I get preview releases for Roku, like I do with Chromecast for example? 
0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

The beta program is how we do early releases.  Details on joining are at https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=112555
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Ok, I had already applied there. How long does it take to go through the application process? It has been at least a week or more.  
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Just got approved for the beta, thanks. 
0 Kudos